• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: [IWAGUMI] Scree Evolution

Looking great, George! I cant wait for the arcuata to develop and give a splash of color on the back! I have had assassin snails before and couldnt see any significant differents after all. I have found few empty rams snails shells, during siphoning, but thats all. Maybe greater number is needed. There is no report of the assassins eating the egg clusters of other snails. IMO it will be best if you could remove as much as possible by hand and hopefully the assassins will be able to control the population of the remaining snails. Its stated also, that the assassins has preference for rams hord snails, rather than pond snails, as the later are faster.
Hope this helps!

looking good George!

I see you have bought the ethical assassin snails! I also have some of these in my main tank.

Looks great! What's your plan with the stemmed plants? Convex or concave? How tall will you let them become?

Thanks, guys.

omen said:
Hey George, just wondering what quantity of the Tobi fert you are dosing for this tank? I've just read the full article in the link, and its extremely interesting. So I take it the idea is to dose that macro mix every other day, and do the trace in between, with 50% water changes weekly?

BTW thanks for all the inspiration you've provided over the years!
Hi omen

I'm adding 6ml N and 6ml micro per day. 75% water change 2 or 3x per week.

Thanks for the kind words too! :D

George Farmer said:
JEK said:
Looks great! What's your plan with the stemmed plants? Convex or concave? How tall will you let them become?
Thanks, Johan. :D

Convex, arching over the main rock. 15cm or so tall.

OK, it will look good, for sure. Have you considered a darker colored fish like black phantom tetras or black neon tetras? I think they would fit the scape nicely, the neons don't stand out so much, I think.

My only critique would be that the rock formation looks very triangular and symmetrical now... Specially on the last pic.

Thanks, Johan.

Yes, I will be changing the fish before final tank shooting.

The layout is quite symmetrical, like the original (the rocks are the same, after all). It's not so obvious when view from a square frontal angle, but I'm not publishing that yet... ;)

George Farmer said:
Thanks, Johan.

Yes, I will be changing the fish before final tank shooting.

The layout is quite symmetrical, like the original (the rocks are the same, after all). It's not so obvious when view from a square frontal angle, but I'm not publishing that yet... ;)

They just don't felt so symmetrical in the iwagumi version. Maybe it's just the angle as you say....

JEK said:
They just don't felt so symmetrical in the iwagumi version. Maybe it's just the angle as you say....
I think it's partly because the left 'tension' stone is now invisible, under the planting.

Check out the furthest stone to the left, rear. This stops the layout from being too symmetrical.

5369724290_fa48baefde_b.jpg

I almost forgot about the needle fern, that's hardly visible at the moment! That will change soon, as I'm getting some more soon...

This will hopefully add a focal point that's off-centre enough to break the symmetry.

5451816836_e156a21899_b.jpg

Of course, that's the reason. :D The fern will help a lot. :thumbup:

Quick update.

The L.arcuata is refusing to go red!

Nutrients and CO2 are non-limiting. Light is high (PAR >70).

A few of my European Twitter followers have recommended I boost the red in the lighting.

Obviously this is impossible with the current LED set-up, so I've resorted to using an old T8 rig (2 x 18w) from a Juwel Rio 125.

One tube is very red (JBL Color), the other 6500K (Zoo Med). I quite like the rendition actually, and the PAR is surprising at 40umol at the substrate.

I'm not sure if changing the lighting will help the red in the Ludwigia. I've always maintained that plants aren't fussy about spectrum, but I thought there's no harm in trying it out.

5497543125_7918f87a96_b.jpg

Re: [IWAGUMI] Scree Evolution - T8 lighting experiment

Interesting to see the outcome, not as pretty as the led's though :(

Looks really clean and healthy as usual George. The colour of that stone always sets off the greens in our tanks so well, I'm still a fan of it over ohko stone.

Cheers

George Farmer said:
A few of my European Twitter followers have recommended I boost the red in the lighting.

I'm not sure if changing the lighting will help the red in the Ludwigia. I've always maintained that plants aren't fussy about spectrum, but I thought there's no harm in trying it out.

Are they not meaning that the pink light should make the plant appear more red due to the different light rather than a change in the plant itself? A bit like 'Tom Barr's Red plant paint'. lol

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Are they not meaning that the pink light should make the plant appear more red due to the different light rather than a change in the plant itself? A bit like 'Tom Barr's Red plant paint'. lol

AC
No, I don't think so.

John Ciotti in particular (very good US 'scaper and photographer) had exactly the same issue that was resolved by switching from LED to warm fluorescent.

I remain open-minded.

This graph was also posted but I don't really understand how it's relevant to inducing red pigmentation.

http://twitpic.com/466wxg

At Sparsholt we were always told red pigmentation was from having lots of light, and that it was the plant's way of blocking some...... And that they were 'actually' having to add N to a planted tank because there were so many plants.... this was revolutionary as it didn't seem to induce algae... :lol:

But I didn't help my case by growing 100gal of algae infestation with my first EI try (CO2 kept running out and I used 500w of halides)!! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tom.

Well, I've certainly been using enough light, so can rule that out.

Some also suggest limiting N can induce red, but I don't want to risk that, as the plants are so healthy right now.

The best red plants I ever had, including L.arcuata and R.rotundifolia, were in my old Juwel Rio 125 with DIY CO2, Dennerle ferts, heater cable and warm T8 fluorescents! I'm certainly not about to start using DIY CO2, NPK-free ferts or heater cables! :lol:

Back