• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem filter media experience and opinion

alzak

Hi

I would like to fiind out something more about Seachem filter media like

Phosguard
Matrix
Nitrate reducer

any of forum member use above media ?? Just share some experience

Thanks

Alzak,
Phosguard supposedly removes PO4 from the water. Why would you want to remove PO4 when plants need it in abundance? Seachem also sell a product called "Flourish Phosphorous" and the product description states: "...Flourish Phosphorus™ is a safe solution (4500 mg/L phosphate) of potassium phosphate that takes the guess work out of phosphate dosing..."

De*Nitrate supposedly removes NO3 from the water. Again, why would you want to do that when you need to dose even more NO3 than PO4?

For our purposes, these two products make absolutely no sense.

Matrix is nothing more than a high surface area filter media which does exactly the same thing as any Fluval or Eheim or even no-name brand sintered glass filter media.

Cheers,

as always great answer from ceg4048 I just want to find out how this media works and looks like most of them are useless for what we need

I need some media for my 2078 eheim as is half full now

Which one to go for any branded one like MATRIX or unbranded one ??

Why don't you stick for Eheim substrat pro or Sera siporax? They are both really good bio media.

I never use any media from eheim as filter was delivered without them I have some sera media in it around 2l but i need more

Hi alzak,
There are lots of options, both cheap and expensive, for your filter. What you use depends on your objectives and budget. Remember that the more things you put in the filter the lower your flow will be. So if you are already marginal in flow rate then you might want to think about using as little filter media as you can get away with. On the other hand, if you have a high stocking level then you would want a bit more media. Have a look at the following thread and the links it contains==>Filter Media

Cheers,

Hi my tank holds around 230l of water and I use eheim 2078 and tetratec 1200 on top of that I have koralia 2400 so flow should be not a problem I just want to use most efficient media possible

Back