• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Swapping media bio-to mechanical in Eheim Filter

roadmaster

I am considering replacing half the bio filtration in eheim filter(substrat Pro) with more of the blue mechanical pads for same, and then after a couple weeks ,,,replace the remaiming half with same.
Am hoping to get a little more flow from the 2217 model which is a bit small for 75 gal (actually 80 gal but subtracting for substrate depth).Can't afford another filter right now.
Would this help get more flow, or would fewer pads than four be needed? I believe not much biological filtration will be lost considering bacteria over time,, will colonize on anything placed in the path of water but would welcome thought's /comment's from those who have or are doing same, or similar.
Seem to remember Ceg suggesting more flow is capable with this approach.
I have fairly large fish load in non CO2 ,low tech tank and will forego this if it will cause more problems but thinking maybe plant's could also benefit from less competition for NH4, NO3 but I am not expierienced enough to know .
Would do this slowly considering the fishes, but would not consider it if no gains can be made.
Many thanks in advance.

The foam should get you more flow yes. Assuming you don't use loads of fine foam. You might want to wait a month between changing the two halves though, or you could end up with quite a drop in bacteria colonies on what you originally had.

You could also get a powerhead in there, which would likely be the better option.

Well, I have a couple Aquaclear 802 Powerheads attached to quick filter's and have tried this with one of said powerheads.
Just don't like the aesthetics of their presence in the tank.
I shall think on this some more,and see if I can't source some smaller powerhead(s). Koralia II was also tried ,and same undesireable look from aesthetic standpoint.
The blue foam pads that come with the filter are fairly large pourus material and I may try this.
Thank you so much for your time.

Back