• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New rocks to hardscape with

ghostsword

Have some new rocks to hardscape now.

Got them lined up and from photographs, they look very similar to Hakkay stones. I choose round ones, but I am sure that there are other shapes to find.

5505273559_d37f2115a8.jpg

Road trip to Hakkai mountain! (Search for Hakkai stones!) - Aquascaping - Aquatic Plant Central

hakkaiseki.jpg

adgshop2010final.jpg

Obviously only after scapping with them can we be 100% sure, but so far they look the part. :)

I am a strong believer in buying items online, either from reputable shops or from friends, I got this from a friend in the Azores, who shipped them to the UK.

I've got to say, they do look like cobbles. I've seen similer in my LGC

Hakkai stone is the mother of all stone, i'd love the real thing.

They are odd stones. They look porous, as lava rock would be, but they are solid, and smooth, with some potholes in them.

I am taking some to vivarium, then you will be able to see them closer.

Will place them also on a tank as they become darker underwater.

The rocks look like this underwater:
http://faao.kicks-ass.net/Fotos/Plantad ... 009_1a.jpg
Oasis2009_1a.jpg

Yeah, nothing like Hakkai, much more like basalt cobbles, the bottom right one is nice but to think they came all the way from portugal when they're available from most garden centres? :woot:

Garuf said:
Yeah, nothing like Hakkai, much more like basalt cobbles, the bottom right one is nice but to think they came all the way from portugal when they're available from most garden centres? :woot:

I have not seen them here, not at B&Q or other London DYI stores. I got 15kg of it, and I am sure that I will put them to good use :) .

From the pictures I have seen of Hakkai stones, they do look very similar, but of course pictures may not be telling the whole story, as I have not seen or touched Hakkai stones yet.

Are Hakkai stones for sale in the UK?

Hi,

I am currently living the Azores too. These are basalt rocks that have been rounded by wave action.

Cobble is not a type of rock. It relates to the size e.g. sand, gravel, pebble, cobble, boulder...

As far as I able to investigate, Hakkai rocks are named after the Hakkai Mountain which is of volcanic origin. So they are basically the same rocks.

Of courses, different eruptions give rise to slight differences depending on the chemical properties of the lava.

Here in the Azores you can find a lot of different types (i.e. basalt, lava rock, pumice, volcanic glass,...) and even those very similar to the Hakkai ones. You just need to look at the margins of streams where erosion is lower and hence rocks are not as rounded as those found in coastal cobble beaches.

cheers,

GM

Thanks GM.

I am asking my local contact to send me another 15kg of rocks, maybe even more, this time more angular shapes. I specifically asked him for round ones the last time, but this time will get other shapes.

Obrigado.
Luis

hi Luis,

no problem.

Eu já sabia que o Luís que tinha mandado pedras a alguém. só não sabia para quem mas já descobri ;)

Abraço,

Gustavo (GM)

gmartins said:
Eu já sabia que o Luís que tinha mandado pedras a alguém. só não sabia para quem mas já descobri ;)

Abraço,

Gustavo (GM)

ehehehhe.. :) I am going to ask him for more, maybe another 15 to 20 kg.

I may have a contract for 100kg, someone I met at vivarium, just need to get the details right.

Back