• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

best algae eating shrimp?

mikeljojo

Seedling
Hi,

Amongst other things, I want to keep shrimp in my planted tank to help control algae.

Can anyone tell me if there is a shrimp that does this particulary well - or are they all pretty much on a parr with one another.

I'm drawn towards Cherry Shrimp because they are a little more visual appealing than the Amano, but have read rave reviews about the Amano and it's ability to clean.

Thanks,

Mike.

I agree with TDI, amanos seems to do alot more work and I don't know about anyone else's but mine are very very friendly and are always out and about wheras my cherries are always hiding only time i see them is when i put food in for them.

yeah, i agree amano is more hardworking compared to cherries. i think they're stronger too that's why they do a cleaner job in pulling out algae. i have amanos and recently got cherries. My amanos are usually more hardy than cherries (at least for me). my cherries always die :arghh:

anybody knows how long the amanos live? and cherries?

I think amanos live 2 or 3 years(I know someone who has a few approaching 3 years) but I remember reading cherries only live for a year but because they are supposed to be so prolific the colony is self sustaining.

i would say the hungry shrimp are the best algal eaters

my cherries cleaned up BBA , when there was no other food for them

Back