• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large water changes - the practicalities

Vyncenze

Hi

Quick question on the large water changes that are suggested for planted tanks. I understand the reasoning behind them, does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing them more easily?

Currently I change about 25% per week on my 180l tank (not really "planted"). I use the good ol' buckets approach, mixing SeaChem Prime into each as I refill the tank. For 50% changes on a much bigger tank, that would be pretty slow - do people run water direct from the tap and if so what do you do about adding dechlorinator?

Might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to think ahead...

Thanks!

Joe

I converted over to the python syphon method about a year ago when changing water on my 240l tank. I found the syphoning took too long for me, as there wasn't much of a difference in high between the tank and sink. So I introduced a Maxi-Jet powerhead/pump to the process. Now I pump the water out of the tank and down the sinks drain, then close of the drain outlet of the python and use the tap to refill tank.

Mine is a DIY job made up of garden hose and hoselock style connectors.

I can take no credit for the way I do water changes as they were take direction from London Dragon and this thread. The powerhead/pump was stolen from TGM, as I happened to be instore on a day they were changing some water out of one of the big display tanks.

That is the best guide for making quick water changes. I swear by it now, the only thing that takes some time?

Is removing the water from the hosepipes, but this can be done when you coil the hosepipe and give it a quick blow to remove excess water.

I can now change 300l of water in 15 mins using this method compared to bucket method which would take me.... a long.....time..... *snores*

Thanks for the link, that looks ideal. As foxfish says, it looks wrong to be filling straight from the tap without pre-mixing dechlorinator, but it seems to be working for everyone else :)

You can fill straight from the tap and use dechlor. Just add it straight to the tank.

For years I have used water straight from the tap with no apparent ill effect and this is with what some people regard as difficult fish to breed such as discus. The chlorine is quickly oxidized and gassed off before affecting the filter and in tern increase the radox of your water which can only be good for the fish.

Back