• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carbonised Water?

Bobtastic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had tried and/or has reason not to use carbonised water in Pico style micro tanks?

I was thinking of ways to introduce Co2 to a pico tank I've setup and though about pouring in an amount of sparkling water into the tank and wondered if anyone else has tried it and if it had a positive or negative effect?

Will it actually stay in the water column long enough to be used by the plants? Also will it's addition, and release from the surface cause a harmful rising and lowering of pH?

All thoughts/comments welcome (even "don't be stupid + reason")!

Oh most definitely, unless you have plants in the pico that don't like Excel. Why shouldn't it work ? It does a decent job in much bigger tanks. This is not to say that fizzy mineral water won't work of course, but fizzy water doesn't suppress algae.

Cheers,

Yeah, that's right. Fizzy water has CO2 dissolved in it so it has to work. The only problem is keeping it from off gassing which you can help by putting a lid on it.

For all intents and purposes Excel = EasyCarbo = Aqua Carbon. These are all just gluteraldehyde mixed in water.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Yeah, that's right. Fizzy water has CO2 dissolved in it so it has to work. The only problem is keeping it from off gassing which you can help by putting a lid on it.

For all intents and purposes Excel = EasyCarbo = Aqua Carbon. These are all just gluteraldehyde mixed in water.

Cheers,

Grand! Cheers Clive.

I ask about the difference (Excel vs EC) as there is a considerable price difference between them on zee internet!

It definitely works. Dose it at 1ml per 10L and see how it goes.

I bottle of fizzy water contains ~4000ppm CO2. Isn't it a little bit algae friendly method to add CO2? :)

bigmatt said:
Given the probs with off gassing how often does it have to be dosed?
Matt

Does anyone know the answer to this? As I fancy giving it a try.

Also would cling-film be a good enough barrier to prevent to must gas off?

Back