• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First ever sighting and image of a rarity

John Starkey

Hi All,i just had to show you these images from yesterday a first on all counts for me,the thing i am angry with is in my excitement i forgot to change aperture for a more sharper overall image,so the depth of field is not what i would have liked,but still happy to see one its called a STONECHAT this is a female,

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_6985.jpg

hope you like them,

jhon.

I'm bit of a 'twitcher' myself, and to capture this bird is quite amazing, and shows dedication.

Your getting some great images John.

I know of a place (in summer) where you can stand a watch a spotted fly catcher. to hear the audible 'click' when their feeding is awesome.

George Farmer said:
Great shots, John.

Do you find there's much similarity with fishing and bird photography?

I'm guessing both require a lot of patience.

I know you're a great fisherman. And now you're a great bird photographer.

Kudos.

Hi George,i think the bird/wildlife stuff takes a lot more patience as you can sit for hours and the subject your after may not even turn up on that day,the type of fishing i did was open match fishing which was quite a busy style of fishing as Mark Evans will agree,(i have actually given up fishing altogether now),

john.

foxfish said:
Beautiful pics of a rare bird,thanks john.
The last time I saw a Stonechat was in a friends garden 20 years ago!
Incidentally what type of fishing do you enjoy?

Hi Foxfish,i match fished for about 25yrs,firstly on rivers then i went over to commercial fisheries when the river stopped fishing so good,i fished for a local match team called mossella elite (disbanded now)i also had individual sponsership by the company too,i also fished for england once in a friendly against wales at a fishery called docklow,(we got beat :lol: )i was well know in the uk for my ability to fish chopped worm and caster,any way i don,t fish at all now but i still get phone calls form team captains trying to get me out of retirement,

John.

Interesting I also used to freshwater fish but haven't done so for about 10 years.
In 1992 I actually fished against the English squad during the world champs fished on the river Erne at Enniskillen in Northern Ireland.
Amazingly we beat England, who were raining champions at the time, into forth place!
As it happened on the Day, I was made reserve due to a points system we adopted during practice week however i still have a bronze team medal somewhere. :D
The following year I fished the worlds again in Portugal but we didn't place so well that year, after those two years I never made the team again but it was a real buzz to get the Bronze.

Back