• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

growbeam tiles

I'm thinking about using these for my 60" tank - do you think 4 would cover it. The tank is 150cm x 60cm x 60cm. I wont be able to place the lights more that 20cm above the water surface due to it being set in the wall, so I'm not sure I'll get enough spread across the depth of the tank from that height, Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

You may need six tiles to cover a 150x60cm footprint, with 60cm tank height @ 20cm from water.

Another option is to supplement 4 GroBeam 1000 tiles with twin GroBeam 500, one at each end running front to rear, with the 1000 tiles in a square in the center.

The hanging kits are very adaptable to enable any configuration to be hung.

If you're on good terms with your local retailer then perhaps ask if you can borrow some to try out. I may be able to lend you a PAR meter too.

I've been looking at the Grobeam 500s to replace my 2 x 55W PCT5s. The PCT5s get so hot in summer in an enclosed hood.

I've got 30G heavilly planted (Vallis, large Anubias, Java fern, amaz swords, crypt wend etc) the tanks 2 1/2 ft long 15 inches wide and quite deep, 18inches, running bottled Co2. How many Grobeam 500s would I need to replace the 2 55W T5s? 2 or 3? Bear in mind that the lights have to be quite close to the water, probably 10cm max.

I'd like a similar light level to what I have now, so that's quite bright. The LEDs appeal as they run cooler, I could dial in how much light I want, may look nice with the shimmer effect and dawn/dusk simulation.

Any thoughts?

Tony Swinney said:
Has anyone used the "storm" setting on these ? Do you set it up to be completely random 24/7, or can you set a time period for it to happen daily ?
Thanks
Tony
It's something that would be great for a reef, sounds like a bad idea on a planted tank, fluctuating light levels also means fluctuating levels of co2.

Garuf said:
It's something that would be great for a reef, sounds like a bad idea on a planted tank, fluctuating light levels also means fluctuating levels of co2.

It wouldn't replace the standard photoperiod Garuf, that would still run its standard time. The 'storm' effect is just sporadic lighting flashes, but I was wondering whether you can set a period, perhaps after lights off in the evening when it might happen for 30 mins or so.
I dont know if it would be beneficial to anything in the tank, or would just become very irritating to anyone sitting in the room, but I'd like to know a bit more about its possibilities and pros / cons :?:

After seeing George's, I'd really like some of these.

Just for the fact, that you can add as many as you like, and also adjust the intensity...the latter being the best bit for me.

Bear in mind that the lights have to be quite close to the water, probably 10cm max.

I have been considering a pair of these on my 180 litre and would have to be even closer than 10cm. This is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

I currently run only a single 39w T5, which doesn't show the fish that well when they swim to front. The Grobeams would provide two light sources, give me lower power consumption and a longer life and maybe some shimmer.

So, does anyone have any experience with light spread with Grobeams close to the water surface? Would two be sufficient?

Cheers
Paul

Thanks for offering out the PFK PAR meter George LOL!

I think you may have already bought them tony, but you won't need six tiles for a five footer.

Four will be fine.

Prospective TMC tile buyers may also want to consider the 1500 XG Ultima tiles.

They are 9000K, 27 watts instead of 30, yet are even brighter.

When launched they were the most energy efficient LEDs on the market.

Pixels said:
Bear in mind that the lights have to be quite close to the water, probably 10cm max.

I have been considering a pair of these on my 180 litre and would have to be even closer than 10cm. This is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

I currently run only a single 39w T5, which doesn't show the fish that well when they swim to front. The Grobeams would provide two light sources, give me lower power consumption and a longer life and maybe some shimmer.

So, does anyone have any experience with light spread with Grobeams close to the water surface? Would two be sufficient?

Cheers
Paul

I have them 5cm from surface. They have light spread around 120 degree. Only issue that at the left and right edges you might get a bit less light than in the middle. But same is with T5 tubes. I do not see any issue now, if I do I will just mount 1x DIY CREE LED at each end of fixture to compensate. For long tank you should mount them from edge to edge if using stripes. I can't measure PAR as I have no PAR meter if anybody in London with one you are welcome to come and test.

Hi Radik,

Thanks for the reply. 5cm is probably about what I have between light and water surface, looks like it could be a winner after all.

Cheers
Paul

Radik to you have a picture of your tank showing the light spread at 5cm ?

yes it is less intrusive than in the back, also spray bar is not at the back of the tank but side next to inlet now.

Thanks Andy. Actually I am planning glass inflow but I am budgeting and prioritizing so buying when money available. I installed black background so now I may move spray bar to background so either I keep it black or do DIY from clear perplex. ;)

I agree with Graeme (great to see you on here pal!) :thumbup:

2 x TMC GroBeam 1000 ND LED tiles will be sufficient, mounted around 30cm above water surface.

They have a very high PAR. Not as bright to our eye as 150w halide, but better for plant growth, so you'll need to play with the power settings (controllable from 0 - 100%). You can ramp up and down also between 0 - 100%, or whatever you wish upto a max of 4 hours ramps up/down transition. They even have a storm mode!

Here's an aquascape I did for PFK Editor, Jeremy Gay, using 2 of these units on his super shallow Iwagumi - 80 x 30 x 60cm. Three weeks to grow a full glosso carpet!

View attachment 58375

Anyone know where i can buy these from? Had a quick look on eBay fro GroBeam's and not much came up

Back