• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Now FOR SALE !

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - Zebra otos

Ianho, and where you have seen black Ottos?

They had some in MA in Lincoln. Quite reasonable as well @ 3 for £12, i think they were.

ps, just caught up with this thread Tony, that kitchen diner is absolutely superb with the inset tank. Even my wife likes the look of the tank and the way it all works together. Great read as well. Thanks.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Its great to see your tank getting back on track. It would be great to see this tank become a great success story!

ianho said:
[ps, just caught up with this thread Tony, that kitchen diner is absolutely superb with the inset tank. Even my wife likes the look of the tank and the way it all works together. Great read as well. Thanks.

My pleasure, thanks Ian :)

FishBeast said:
I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Its great to see your tank getting back on track. It would be great to see this tank become a great success story!
Thanks FishBeast, Liberty is doing great now :)

I think the tank is becoming a gradually heading towards a success now...

IMG_9159_prepped.jpg

Im waiting for the invite to come over so I can see this in the flesh!

:D

Looks great after the clean up :)

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - algae free !

mlgt said:
Im waiting for the invite to come over so I can see this in the flesh!

:D

Looks great after the clean up :)

Sorry I missed this Rik - you're welcome whenever mate - just bring your detailing kit too lol

The hygrophila pinnatifida is rampant in here, and is rooting itself to the rocks wherever possible, creating small plantlets. There are large java ferns across the back of the tank, along with some cryptocryne balansae too.

I swapped the lighting form T5 to TMC LED's a few months back and have a far more stable tank now, requiring less maintenance than it used too.

The main issue I've had with regard updating the journal has been a really annoying cloudiness in the tank that I just cant get rid of. Its just a bit milky, but with the LEDs it shows up really badly on pictures. I've tried adding a UV, adding co-agulants, changing filter media, rearranging the flow around the tank, stopping dosing trace, stopping dosing all ferts, different CO2 diffusers and countless other things but to no long term avail. I got this pic last week after adding new filter pads, where I gained nearly 24hrs of relatively clear water - I'd just replanted the blyxa though.

Tony

420L_9410.jpg

Hi Tony,

that's looking fantastic! it's got so much going on. brill

I had an issue with cloudy water a while back, it gradually turned into green water algae, but it was never green always a white milky colour. I sorted it with UV, which you've tried so I guess thats not the case. but mine did look exactly the same in photos.

Chris

russchilds said:
Looks fantastic! :)

George Farmer said:
Looks very nice, Tony. Shame about the 'milky' water. Could it be something digging in the substrate? Is that Aqua Soil Malaya?

Thanks Russ and George. Yes its Malaya, and there are four corys in there which dig a bit.

chump54 said:
Hi Tony, that's looking fantastic! it's got so much going on. brill

I had an issue with cloudy water a while back, it gradually turned into green water algae, but it was never green always a white milky colour. I sorted it with UV, which you've tried so I guess thats not the case. but mine did look exactly the same in photos. Chris

Thanks Chris, yep I tried UV but no good.

stuworrall said:
very nice tony, looking very grown in now :) Re the cloudyness as george mentioned it wasnt that bad batch of AS was it that was reported on the ADA site?

Thanks Stu. I hadnt read about the bad Malaya batch - do you have a link ? The scape was a year old on Tuesday, but the Malaya has broken down far more than it did in my 2 yr old 200L scape - and that had several corys in it too.
If the timings match up then the "bad batch" theory would make sense - its more of a fine particles cloudiness than a bacterial bloom, plus the filter pads are always brown after a week.

Unfortunately if it is the substrate, then i guess theres not a lot I can do about it, apart from rescape :wideyed:

Another pic...
420L_IMG_9404.jpg

Tony

Looking good good. Cant believe its one year old already. Seems like just recently i have been looking at hardscape.
Ehh, time goes fast.
Love the Angels.

Tony Swinney said:
Thanks Stu. I hadnt read about the bad Malaya batch - do you have a link ? The scape was a year old on Tuesday, but the Malaya has broken down far more than it did in my 2 yr old 200L scape - and that had several corys in it too.
If the timings match up then the "bad batch" theory would make sense - its more of a fine particles cloudiness than a bacterial bloom, plus the filter pads are always brown after a week.

Unfortunately if it is the substrate, then i guess theres not a lot I can do about it, apart from rescape :wideyed:

Tony
Dont take that as read, i may have just been getting ahead of myself from posts ive read on here as I cant find any links externally. I may have been getting mixed up with amazonia II about the bad batch as I know theyve now improved the "recipe" - http://www.adana.co.jp/en/sc/news/detail/35

i did find some here but you posted the first one about cloudyness!

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14478&p=151135&hilit=cloudy+malaya#p151135

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14866&p=162071&hilit=cloudy+malaya#p162071

Hi Tony, what a cracker mate, Really liking the mix of greens from the dark crypts through to the lighter colours, nice sense of depth and a nice fish selection too! The year has flown by! Hard to believe it's gone past so fast! Shame about the cloudy water, very bizarre, but I wouldn't let it get you down, when you've produced a stunning scape like this!

Re: Tonys 'Triassic Hollow' 420L - 1yr old !

So the tank has moved on somewhat since the last update. Plants have continued to do well, with Marsilea hirsute, Cyperus Helferi and lots of Juncus Repens added. The cloudy water issue has gone away - though unfortunately I can't really put my finger on a specific reason as to why !

The angels have gone, as have most of the black neons, and a shoal of wild columbian altums have been added this morning, from David Lai aquatics. These were from his second imported batch from this year, and he's quarantined them for the past 8 weeks, with no problems.

They are settling in fine so far, and have been feeding this afternoon quite happily. A quick phone pic of them below, but once they're settled fully I'll take some proper pics.

Tony

altums.JPG

Now they are cool!

Look forward to more updates!

Fantastic quality. Good that you got them. We chatted about it at Aquatics Live. Look forward catching up with you and actually checking our your tanks soon.

Hi Tony beautifully angels! Are you sure they are Columbians cos they really are similar to the proper Altums! I have been trying to get real Altums inMalta for the past six months now but no one see,s to be willing to get some for me. Local LFS's claim they can't find any..... Probably cos they mainly import from Taiwan and Singapore where Altums are not found :(

Great tank. Post some more pics of those angels when you get the time.

Regards,
Michael

mzm said:
Hi Tony beautifully angels! Are you sure they are Columbians cos they really are similar to the proper Altums!

Hi Michael, they are proper Altums, from Columbia ! They are native to Southern Columbia and SouthEast Venezuala.

mzm said:
Great tank. Post some more pics of those angels when you get the time.

Will do :)

Tony

Back