• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Multiple Tank Co2 Setup

ukco2guy

Hi,

I`m about to start another tank and have an existing pressurised co2 system in place. I would like to split this out so that i can use a single 2KG FE on both tanks to achieve 30ppm on both. So far i understand that all i need is a splitter and an additional needle value to ensure that even distribution of co2 gets to both diffusers (hydor inlines). My question is that i already have a needle valve that i think is screwed into the reg, do i need to purchase two more valves or should i just buy one and use the one i already have? If the latter then i presume i can just unscrew the needle valve off an have the solenoid going straight to that through a hose?

Current:
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> needle valve -> Diffuser

Proposed:
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> needle valve -> Splitter - tank 1 to diffuser / tank 2 needle valve then diffuser
Or
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> Splitter - tank 1 to needle valve then diffuser / tank 2 needle valve then diffuser

I`m sure it`s an easy one, as it`s the first i`m doing i`d like to make sure. I have found the following needle valves, anyone else tried these yet? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Needle-Va...m&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a4fb778ba

Cheers,

Splitting the flow between two tanks is difficult because it's almost impossible to balance the flow between the two diffusers. This doesn't matter too much when you are feeding the same tank but it can cause problems in a dual tank feed. Minor pressure differences in the lines can cause one diffuser to get less than it's fair share.

Cheers,

Is it woth me grabbing a couple of those needle valves anyway, they seem quite cheap? I might as well give it a go and see, if i can get around having to purchase a second reg and solenoid i will, tight budget with the rest of the tank.

I`ll take the blue pill on this one ;)

Yeah, no doubt. You're bound to learn something by playing around with them, and you might get lucky. :geek:

Cheers,

ukco2guy said:
Hi,

I`m about to start another tank and have an existing pressurised co2 system in place. I would like to split this out so that i can use a single 2KG FE on both tanks to achieve 30ppm on both. So far i understand that all i need is a splitter and an additional needle value to ensure that even distribution of co2 gets to both diffusers (hydor inlines). My question is that i already have a needle valve that i think is screwed into the reg, do i need to purchase two more valves or should i just buy one and use the one i already have? If the latter then i presume i can just unscrew the needle valve off an have the solenoid going straight to that through a hose?

Current:
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> needle valve -> Diffuser

Proposed:
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> needle valve -> Splitter - tank 1 to diffuser / tank 2 needle valve then diffuser
Or
FE -> Reg -> solenoid -> Splitter - tank 1 to needle valve then diffuser / tank 2 needle valve then diffuser

I`m sure it`s an easy one, as it`s the first i`m doing i`d like to make sure. I have found the following needle valves, anyone else tried these yet? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Needle-Va...m&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a4fb778ba

Cheers,

I would opt for the bottom configuration and keep all the hose used on both tanks as equal as you can

Hi,

Bought one of these as well. I`m going to see if i can use the already existing needle value on the reg to control the general flow and then this to a pair of inline diffusers, i figure if i make both lengths as short as possible from the splitter valve into each diffuser i won`t have to worry as much about even distribution. I hope :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....171130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3262wt_911

I think Key maker and Viktor are using something similar and they said they need constant adjustment. I'm not sold on them particularly, every time I see stuff like this mentioned people always say how difficult they are to get things "right".

Back