• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm optiwhite Nature Aquarium setup

barturas

Hi,
I'd like to share with you guys the beginning story of my new aquarium.
I've recently moved to England and took my passion for the aquariums with me.
For the beginning I decided to set up a relatively small ( 60x36x30h cm) tank.
Short technical info:
Glass Optiwhite, brasless.
Lighting 4x24w ... full power will be used just for couple hours 'till HC carpet will be full grown.
Filter Eheim 2213 + Honk Kong made glass lily pipes.
Heating Hydor 200W External
Pressurized CO2
RO filter
Substrate ADA complete (AS, PS, B100, SC, T-BC)
Hardscape - wood.

5565605456_cc6aec74a8_b_d.jpg

5565631500_7c3a607730_b_d.jpg

5565700788_9a51118e90_b_d.jpg

As you can see this tank will be visible from three sides ... this will challenge my aquascaping abilities. I'll do my best. :)
At the moment I live in Manchester. Is it true that Manchesters tap water has just 2dKH?
Also, I'm looking for following plants in Manchester:
Eleocharis sp. (E.parvula, E. acicularis etc.)
Echinodorus tenellus
Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC),
HM - under consideration
Hydrocotyle verticillata,
Didiplis diandra - under consideration.

I'll be grateful to read your critics and suggestions indeed.

You've done really well to make it look good from 3 sides. Wood looks nice and whispy. Are you putting moss in it?

Hiya,

Where did you get that wood? is it locally collected?

Re: KH2 tap water. Edinburgh is very soft water, I think last time i tested (alot time ago since i hate test kits) it was about KH2. I add 7 ppm magnesium during my water change as part of my dosing schedule to help the plants out.

The local water board will usually supply full tap water details on request for your pumping station. I really liked the read out for phosphate content over a 12 month period they emailed me. 8)

I'm drooling over your optiwhite tank... :)

Best Regards,
John

very nice indeed you obviously have a tallent and an eye for detail and the wood is sweet ! :D

hijac said:
Where did you get that wood? is it locally collected?
Thank you for comment :)

I collected this wood on slopes of Peak District's hills... I think it's heather ... but I'm not sure ...

Mrmikey said:
You've done really well to make it look good from 3 sides. Wood looks nice and whispy. Are you putting moss in it?

Thanks :) I'm not sure about moss ... Since I'm using ADA substrate I don't want to use EI fertilization hence decrease problems with algae ... I will rely on stem plats which will take most of nutrition from substrate .. But who knows ... maybe I'll change my mind ... It would really be interesting to combine Riccia (it's not actually a moss but belongs to same division as mosses) with HC as a carpet ...

alzak said:
Hi

Welcome on forum nice scape

how did you prepare locally collected wood ??

Hi alzak...
I think there's no need to prepare this wood ... if it would have been collected from swamp I'd boil it ... :)

Ok that's intresting. I'm planning a moss tank next and was hoping to hardly dose at all! I want it full of shrimp so would be risky with my limited knowledge. So are you saying to grow moss you need to dose ferts?
I wouldn't mind growing a bit of glosso or hc in the same tank but read the other day that hc takes more nutrients through it's leaves, rather than it's roots. Obviously good co2 and flow is a must :)

Mrmikey said:
... So are you saying to grow moss you need to dose ferts?
I wouldn't mind growing a bit of glosso or hc in the same tank but read the other day that hc takes more nutrients through it's leaves, rather than it's roots. Obviously good co2 and flow is a must :)

hi Mrmikey :)
Moss definitely takes nutrition from water ... My colleague has done aquarium with DIY substrate ... Just after setup he didn't used any fertilization at all ... HC and other stem plants felt quit good but Java moss started to die ... I don't think I'll avoid fertilization at all ... but it will be limited ... and finally .. every tank is unique ... further actions will be based on observations. :)

Glosso .. I had experience with it ... when it starts to grow nothing will stop it ... extremely expansive plant .. in my opinion .. :)

Well I was planning on using a bit of ferts but may have to think a bit more about it. Does the moss need full el dosing or can you get by with minimal amounts with good co2 and flow.
True what you say, every tank is different, I'm sure you will do well with ur hc, think I failed due to flow not being enough.

I've visited 5 aqua stores today with no success to find plants I need ... :( Hey aquascapers please help ...
Eleocharis sp.
HC
Didiplis diandra
Proserpinaca palustris
Echinodorus tennellus
Utricularia graminifolia

short update:

water RO + seachem equilibrium + ~3dGH
KH adjustment with K2CO3 + ~2dKH
NO3 not added yet
PO4 not added yet
micro: profito ... I've got it just today
Fe: easy life ... I've got it just today

5617691596_0d459412f7_b_d.jpg

5616640937_ac8cc117d9_b_d.jpg

5616641521_d6616cd648_b_d.jpg

5617225620_67d7d2c821_b_d.jpg

I can tell George is sensing it might not be aquatic, it has me suspicious. Very nice start, welcome to the world of plants and not being able to get them easily. ;)

Garuf said:
I can tell George is sensing it might not be aquatic, it has me suspicious. Very nice start, welcome to the world of plants and not being able to get them easily. ;)

Garuf ... You may be right ... I'll keep eye on it ...

George, thanks for good comment ... this setup is very fresh ... some more serious results will be in couple months .. :)

George Farmer said:
What's the plant in the rear left corner?

Might be Ophiopogon japonicus, a larger photo with it could be helpful.

Cheers,

barturas said:
Mrmikey said:
... So are you saying to grow moss you need to dose ferts?

hi Mrmikey :)
Moss definitely takes nutrition from water ... My colleague has done aquarium with DIY substrate ... Just after setup he didn't used any fertilization at all ... HC and other stem plants felt quit good but Java moss started to die ... I don't think I'll avoid fertilization at all ... but it will be limited ... and finally .. every tank is unique ... further actions will be based on observations. :)

Glosso .. I had experience with it ... when it starts to grow nothing will stop it ... extremely expansive plant .. in my opinion .. :)

I would say that the fert requirement of HC is higher than that of moss.

Back