• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

For sale section (Not many Donations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry folks, this is all just discussion and ideas. Rest assured that there are no plans to implement any kind of subscription etc.

This society has always functioned based on the input of it's members. The most valuable thing, in my honest opinion, is the wealth of knowledge available to everyone. We've seen a big increase in users since all of the forums were made completely public (i.e. you no longer need to be registered to read the forums). I think this shows that charging a subscription would be detrimental. But lets not forget that people were talking purely about the sale/swap section.

Anyway, as John points out, we're getting away from his original intention of this thread which is to remind people that it is the donations that help keep the machinery in the background working. It's a show of support from society members. We're a community and a society of like minded folk with a passion for the same thing, and not just a web forum :)

I agree, the wealth of free info out there means a subscription would just push people away. Some kind of charge for using the buy/sell section would also be difficult to implement as its not in anyway connected to the payment methods used. If you'd be happy to pay a small subscription why not just donate anyway?

We just need to encourage people to donate that's all, if you feel you have benefited from the forum please donate using the button provided :)

Sam

One thing for sure i will start doing is donating myself as a seller rather than listing plants for donation. Will point in the post that funds will be donated though.

I've lurked here for ages with only a handfull of posts, mainly because aquariums are newish to me and I don't want to ask questions that the more experienced people have answered 10000 times before. This site has been an invaluable source of information for me and there is a great community here. I would be happy to donate (and will) but if it were subscription based I doubt i'd have joined and I agree it may put new members off.

Has the donation system worked well in the past and has just died off?

Some sites have a cost / month target listed on the home page with the option to donate to meet some of the runing costs?

Piece-of-fish said:
One thing for sure i will start doing is donating myself as a seller rather than listing plants for donation. Will point in the post that funds will be donated though.

This is my intention too.

davem said:
Has the donation system worked well in the past and has just died off?

Yes. This is it exactly. John's intention was to respark the interest in the donation system.

can't the donate link be put at the top of the page where its more visible :idea: .

Why not list the monthly expenses on the page and then list how much to reach target? As people donate they will see the impact of their donation.

I got a few bits to sell, usually sell it through ebay, but can put a couple here for 100% donation, minus the postage that is, or people can schedule a pickup using parcel to go, very easy and cheap.

The posting is here, so lets see who is prepared to help the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15419

I think it'd be a good point to put that topic to General discussions section where lot more people would see it.
I doubt a lot of people go to off topic.

Luis I'd never pay 40£ for a piece of wood without seeing it 8)

ghostsword said:
Why not list the monthly expenses on the page and then list how much to reach target? As people donate they will see the impact of their donation.

I got a few bits to sell, usually sell it through ebay, but can put a couple here for 100% donation, minus the postage that is, or people can schedule a pickup using parcel to go, very easy and cheap.

The posting is here, so lets see who is prepared to help the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15419

Look guys lets put this to bed here and now,all this talk of fee,s and displaying accounts is way over the top :crazy: ,all i was doing was bring to members attention that the donations don,t seem be happening like they did in the past,ok we are in a big downward trend in the work and financial market and if people cannot afford to donate then so be it,but i hope in the future when things are on the upturn they will consider making a donation,

END OF STORY FOLKS

have a good week,

john.

There is no turning back now John, you've stirred up the hornets nest good and proper :lol:
At least it shows that people are passionate about the forum! :clap:

a1Matt said:
There is no turning back now John, you've stirred up the hornets nest good and proper :lol:
At least it shows that people are passionate about the forum! :clap:

I agree Matt,being passionate about one,s hobby is great,but not passionate enough so it seems :angelic: :lol: ,

John.

andy passes john a big ladder to get out of the hole he has created! :lol: :lol:

Well I think everyone's had a chance to discuss this now and it's got the issue of donations into people's heads. I'll lock the topic now, as I don't want it to spiral off out of control.

I think there's been some interesting ideas raised, and some good points made. Specifically I hope people remember that donations are voluntary, but I also hope that people feel the urge and want to donate when they can to support this great society and this wonderful resource for the aquascaping community.

Cheers guys :)

Interesting topic, guys. Thanks for contributing, all.

The way I see it -

If you are using UKAPS to sell stuff, and if you can afford a small donation, then please consider giving something. The recent expedition to Vivarium is as good a reason as any...

For those that cannot afford to give financially, then all I ask is you contribute in a positive manner via your posts and attitude, as the vast majority of genuine UKAPS members do already.

Cheers,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back