• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Our mad crazy hobby!

Dacious

As a person who has kept fish from 4 years old and had a planted tank the last 5 years, I have gone to some lengths to buy fish, pick up equipment etc.

I just wanted to ask you all what are some of the lengths you have gone to to further your hobby, to buy fish, to pick up plants or anything else relating to our hobby?

Have you got any funny stories that plants and fish have got you into?

Look forward to your stories!

To make sense, I have to start off by telling you I am 33 and not a dad...

I keep Minnows and Sticlkebacks that I catch from rivers. I was going back the car with a jamjar full near the sea in Cornwall when a bloke about my age came up and asked what I had in the Jamjar. I let him look and told him the contents. He said "Your kids have been having fun". I didn't have the heart to tell him it was me.

Sam I don't think that is mad at all.........just a necessity lol I've never seen an opti-white tank in the flesh (or should that be in the glass) but I ordered a 4ft tank with an opti-white front glass to arrive in the summer so I can't wait!

Stickleback that is the kind of story I am thinking of....our hobby will get us in trouble one day! haha

Of course! It's all relative to everyone's situation. When I was a kid I spent all my pocket money on fish and equipment!!! All my family members thought I was mad...well maybe I was a little :p

Tell me about it! With 50p a week pocket money (was a while ago o_O ) it took a long time to save up for my first tropical tank!

Have done a few crazy trips, including going to Wales and back in a day to visit a single LFS

maybe :shh: (yes!)

but the furthest I've gone to visit an LFS is 10,000Km :wideyed:
Chat-a-chak market in Bangkok :D

Hahaa....did you really go there just for the fish market?

I have been meaning to go to the TGM for a loooong time! Combination of distance and subconscious procrastanating to avoid me spending all the money I have!

Sort of. he he. I had to pass through Bangkok anyway, but did go 2 days earlier, hence having to spend 2 days I did not want to in Bangkok, to make sure I caught the market (that part of market is weekends only). So that counts for something :)

Thanks Jason!

Yeh I have been to HK fish street many times since I was a kid.....my parents had to prize me away kicking and screaming because I would not leave haha :p So many times I wanted to buy things and bring it all back home! Unbelieveable things on sale and the prices :-O

Dacious said:
What did they have in the market? Got any pictures?

Yes, but only naff phone pics. Have been a bit busy since my return (only a few weeks ago), so not yet got them online. Will post them up here at some point though :)

I think theres slot of people who have made that crazy trip to tgm, I'll have to do it sometime soon.

I think we should hire a coach for the day and pick up people along the way! a TGM day out!

Back