• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[Product] New style dropcheker

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Just seen these on the Cal Aqua website, perfect for open tops and makes reading them very easy ;)

http://www.calaqualabs.com/CLIP.html

Lets hope they don't have the same issues as the ADA Thermometers do, which start emptying the tank.

or the other problem that I get with all ADA kit... very expensive!

Looks nice :)

SteveUK said:
Looks very interesting :) It's nice to see some innovation going on. No idea on price? Cal-Aqua tends to be on the expensive side, but they are great quality.
No price yet that I could see anywhere, but I would expect it to be in the £30-40 region. But they would look great on nano tanks, easy to read too which helps. I have seen people making DIY versions in acrylic, if not mistaken Luis made one too.

LondonDragon said:
SteveUK said:
Looks very interesting :) It's nice to see some innovation going on. No idea on price? Cal-Aqua tends to be on the expensive side, but they are great quality.
No price yet that I could see anywhere, but I would expect it to be in the £30-40 region. But they would look great on nano tanks, easy to read too which helps. I have seen people making DIY versions in acrylic, if not mistaken Luis made one too.

Yep, made one in acrylic, but this one looks much better. :)

At £30 will get one for sure. Less things inside the tank.

LondonDragon said:
Lets hope they don't have the same issues as the ADA Thermometers do, which start emptying the tank.
looks really cool. whats that about ada thermos emptying the tank? havent heard about that one and ive got one so wouldnt mind knowing what casues it?

SteveUK said:
I think Paulo had a problem with one of his nanos. The glass managed to cause some sort of capillary action which syphoned out water slowly.

Really!!! I have them on all my tanks and never seen that happen? Weird. I dont fill my tanks to the the brim though o_O

stuworrall said:
whats that about ada thermos emptying the tank? havent heard about that one and ive got one so wouldnt mind knowing what casues it?
Hi Stu, if the thermometer is wet and you fill the tank too much, say less than 1cm from the rim, the thermometer creates a suction effect and start siphoning the water from the tank and it will drop the water down the front glass, it will stop just before the water level gets to the bottom of the thermometer, I found this the hard way in one of my nanos on my computer desk, luckily the water dropped to the front of the desk and down on the floor, had it gone to the back I had all the power plugs for all the computers and HDDs (about 15 of them) could have been a nightmare.

It's worth noting that there was a thread with someone who made these out of acrylic not that long ago and I can tell you for a fact they didn't cost anywhere near the amount they'll no doubt ask for these. ;)

LondonDragon said:
stuworrall said:
whats that about ada thermos emptying the tank? havent heard about that one and ive got one so wouldnt mind knowing what casues it?
Hi Stu, if the thermometer is wet and you fill the tank too much, say less than 1cm from the rim, the thermometer creates a suction effect and start siphoning the water from the tank and it will drop the water down the front glass, it will stop just before the water level gets to the bottom of the thermometer, I found this the hard way in one of my nanos on my computer desk, luckily the water dropped to the front of the desk and down on the floor, had it gone to the back I had all the power plugs for all the computers and HDDs (about 15 of them) could have been a nightmare.
ouch thats nasty!! ive had mine deeper than this before but it was on 10mm glass so maybe it doesnt affect that as much as a nano? Sorry to hear youve been the guinee pig but thanks for the tip :)

stuworrall said:
ouch thats nasty!! ive had mine deeper than this before but it was on 10mm glass so maybe it doesnt affect that as much as a nano? Sorry to hear youve been the guinee pig but thanks for the tip :)
Yes forgot to mention I am using the smallest version for 4mm glass.

LondonDragon said:
stuworrall said:
Yes forgot to mention I am using the smallest version for 4mm glass.

will watch out for it, i use the 6mm and the 10mm no problems yet.

:thumbup:

Very nice glassware,

Garuf I remember someone else, maybe Luke (ghostword) making one..from a biro? lol I'm sure of it maybe it was normal acrylic tube and I thought about melting a biro to try it once.....lol

Back