• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (Pruned)

Just a quick update

Had a major problem, my needle valve on my CO2 reg gave up the ghost and basically flooded my tank with CO2 and killed a lot of my shrimps! approx. 30 CRS and my 4 Sualwesi! :? :(

Got a new reg and back on track now.

The only problem i am having is the Lilaeopsis, after pruning it hard it has never really recovered, and the bits that are left are algae ridden. SO i have pruned it all back to the gravel and we will see what happens.

A couple of pics:
web.jpg

web.jpg

As you can see the HC is doing fairly well and so is the Micranthemum.

Also switched ferts back to, Brighty k Daily with Step 1

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (cleaned and pruned)

Looking great Andy.

andyh said:
after pruning it hard it has never really recovered, and the bits that are left are algae ridden. SO i have pruned it all back to the gravel and we will see what happens.

You should always trim it to the substrate mate. :thumbup:

Sorry about your CO2 accident, Andy. :(

What's the reason for going back to ADA ferts? Step 1 is very lean and designed for use with brand new Aqua Soil/Power Sand combo that's loaded with nutrients.

Despite your woes the 'scape is still looking fine. Love the HC in particular. I'm sure the layout will come back even stronger. :thumbup:

Thats rotten luck Andy with the co2 mishap,the scape still looks very nice :thumbup: ,

take care john.

looking relly smart mate,

hope my hc looks that great when grown in. sorry to hear about the shrimp deaths!

the green in this tank is so lush and bright it makes he face of the rock on the right pretty rotten? maybe its just the photo because of the shadow being cast by the tank lights. just looks very dull and nasty looking.....maybe get the a new toothbrush and dedicate it to rock cleanin and give then a scrub.

plants looking so healthy tho, well done :)

I love those cardinal shrimps and I like this tank as much as your innovative kitchen tank. keep up the amazing work!
greg

Mark Evans said:
Looking great Andy.
andyh said:
after pruning it hard it has never really recovered, and the bits that are left are algae ridden. SO i have pruned it all back to the gravel and we will see what happens.
You should always trim it to the substrate mate. :thumbup:

Cheers Mark
I only pruned it half way originally and its now algae ridden, now pruned to the gravel (cheers dude!)

George Farmer said:
Sorry about your CO2 accident, Andy. :(
What's the reason for going back to ADA ferts? Step 1 is very lean and designed for use with brand new Aqua Soil/Power Sand combo that's loaded with nutrients.
Despite your woes the 'scape is still looking fine. Love the HC in particular. I'm sure the layout will come back even stronger. :thumbup:
Gone back to ADA as the EI wasn't working for me and its what i had in the cupboard. Slight typo on my behalf i am actually dosing Step 2. Once that runs out i will be switching to Tropica Plant Nutrition Standard and Plus.
The HC is coming along nicely, i have dropped the temp from 25 to 23 over the last week, as per viktors comments to see if it changes anything.

john starkey said:
Thats rotten luck Andy with the co2 mishap,the scape still looks very nice :thumbup:,
take care john.

Thanks John, yes i was gutted about the Co2! thanks for your kind words, hope your well?
nayr88 said:
looking relly smart mate,
hope my hc looks that great when grown in. sorry to hear about the shrimp deaths!
the green in this tank is so lush and bright it makes he face of the rock on the right pretty rotten? maybe its just the photo because of the shadow being cast by the tank lights. just looks very dull and nasty looking.....maybe get the a new toothbrush and dedicate it to rock cleanin and give then a scrub.
plants looking so healthy tho, well done :)
Thanks nayr88, are you saying i have nasty rocks? :lol: Toothbrush will be out in a few weeks :geek:
gregalon said:
I love those cardinal shrimps and I like this tank as much as your innovative kitchen tank. keep up the amazing work!
greg
Cheers gregalon, The cardinal shrimps are very cool, shame i lost them but i will get some more at some point. :thumbup:

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (great growth)

Weekly update!

So things going really well, as i mentioned i switched from EI dosing back to ADA Brighty K (3ml per day), and Step 2 (3ml per day). (added some Green Gain at WC) I also dropped the temp from 25c to 23c. So i have only been doing this since last weekend:

Tank on the 20th Feb
web.jpg

The tank today 27th Feb, how much has the Micranthemum grown? Its almost doubled in volume :woot: :thumbup: Its seems that this ADA guy does have some skills! :lol: :lol:
web.jpg

Going to keep this dosing the same to see the difference a month can make, i am sure that the HC is looking better too.

Thanks for looking! :thumbup:
Andyh

Re: Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l (Great Growth with ADA)

Hi Andy,i went over to ADA ferts a week ago,Brighty K,Step 2,and Special shade,the change in my water clarity and plant growth is great in just one week,

I have heard great things about the ferts from the german guy,which George,Mark and Dan are using,

tanks looking good mate :thumbup: ,

john.

Sorry to hear about your regulator issues, what make was it? It's about £15 for a new needle valve, it's a potentially very cheap reg for spares and repairs!

Tank looks great, dropping the temperature may be a reason for better growth, more oxygen in the water, slower metabolism, higher co2 carrying capacity. Not a huge difference but something to consider maybe?

Had you turned the lights on especially? The DC looks very dark to my eyes.

john starkey said:
Hi Andy,i went over to ADA ferts a week ago,Brighty K,Step 2,and Special shade,the change in my water clarity and plant growth is great in just one week,
I have heard great things about the ferts from the german guy,which George,Mark and Dan are using,
tanks looking good mate :thumbup: ,
john.

Cheers John, i am pleased with the results
Yes i have heard the same good things about Tobi's ferts, i am looking at getting some for this tank to see how it goes.
I will update once i get some.

Garuf said:
Sorry to hear about your regulator issues, what make was it? It's about £15 for a new needle valve, it's a potentially very cheap reg for spares and repairs!
Tank looks great, dropping the temperature may be a reason for better growth, more oxygen in the water, slower metabolism, higher co2 carrying capacity. Not a huge difference but something to consider maybe?
Had you turned the lights on especially? The DC looks very dark to my eyes.
The reg was "Wave regulator with built in Solenoid" switched to a nice german one now, much better adjustment (thanks Bogwood for the lone of the equipment :thumbup: ) I only dropped the temp down to 22/23c towards the end of the week so its not the only impact but i am sure its helped.
As for the drop checker, nothing gets by you! Its like that as its one of the nano dc's and i got a bit over zealous with the ratio of 4dkh to indicator solution. Needs changing. :shh:

Update:

Loving this scape at the moment, The HC is really growing well, and its getting a weekly prune to keep it in check. There are a couple of small algae patches but i am cutting them out and dosing Easycarbo to get rid. The Micranthemum grew to the surface and beyond so trimmed that hard back to an inch tall. Its all ready showing new growth after only a week.

You will also notice a majority of the Lilaposis is gone. I have replaced it with some ricca stones, which i am really happy about its looks great.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

and some of my own CRS which i have bred.
web.jpg

Thanks for looking
ANdyh

Some nice pics, cheers Andy. :thumbup:

Your Hc is looking good, looks like youve finally got it right. :clap:

Home grown CRS, reaching a good size, and nice markings as well. Nice achievement.

Hard to believe, how quickly the ricca has shown a lush growth. Must be the magic stones. :lol:

Hi Andy,

This is looking great! It's come on loads with the HC filling in and the CRS look perfect! Very nice indeed!

bogwood said:
Some nice pics, cheers Andy. :thumbup:
Your Hc is looking good, looks like youve finally got it right. :clap:
Home grown CRS, reaching a good size, and nice markings as well. Nice achievement.
Hard to believe, how quickly the ricca has shown a lush growth. Must be the magic stones. :lol:

Cheers! The ricca is on the ludicrously expensive ADA Riccia stones with fishinng line to hold it on. The annoying thing is that they seem to work very well indeed.

SteveUK said:
Looks great Andy :) The rocks have a lovely tint of green in places which really gives it a natural feeling.
Yes i am begining to like the aged look of the rocks, give them to occasional scrub with a brush when it gets thick, bit apart from that I leave them alone.

B7fec said:
Hi Andy,
This is looking great! It's come on loads with the HC filling in and the CRS look perfect! Very nice indeed!
Cheers Dude, the HC is starting to looking very healthy, just got to keep it trimmed so it doesnt get to thick and lift up.

So i pretty much tore down this scape at the weekend, and i am currently using it as a growing on tank.

After my trip to TGM at the weekend, i am all inspired to try something new! Maybe with a few new bits!

I am taken by the ADA Mini M with ADA light, they look so good and Stu Worrals recent journal isn't helping at all!!!!

The other option is to purchase a ADA Optiwhite 60p tank and dig out that Solar 1 from under the guest bed and have a go at a high energy setup

Just not sure which way to go :crazy: :geek:

Anyway whilst i consider my options, i am growing a few things on in this tank in an attempt to be prepared for the new setup later this year.

I have taken the challenge of trying trying to grow Pogostemon Erectus again, :oops: which i have already failed at twice! it always has grow leggy or just looks rubbish. After a few pearls of wisdom from Jim at TGM i feel equipped to give it another go.

This is what it looks like in the TGM tank: (centre, back)
web.jpg

So i am giving it ago in here:
web.jpg

This pic was taken at the weekend and its already starting to looking better :thumbup:

I also acquired some lovely miniature java moss, which i have tied to a piece of manzi wood with fishing line, more pics to follow once it sinks and starts to grow.

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh

andyh said:
The other option is to purchase a ADA Optiwhite 60p tank and dig out that Solar 1 from under the guest bed and have a go at a high energy setup.
You know you want to!! I'll take on your dads shoulder perch for the moment. :twisted:

andyh said:
I have taken the challenge of trying trying to grow Pogostemon Erectus again, which i have already failed at twice! it always has grow leggy or just looks rubbish. After a few pearls of wisdom from Jim at TGM i feel equipped to give it another go.

Can you share these pearls pls? I also bought some Pogostemon Erectus and any extra help would be greatfully received!

Bobtastic said:
andyh said:
The other option is to purchase a ADA Optiwhite 60p tank and dig out that Solar 1 from under the guest bed and have a go at a high energy setup.
You know you want to!! I'll take on your dads shoulder perch for the moment. :twisted:

andyh said:
I have taken the challenge of trying trying to grow Pogostemon Erectus again, which i have already failed at twice! it always has grow leggy or just looks rubbish. After a few pearls of wisdom from Jim at TGM i feel equipped to give it another go.

Can you share these pearls pls? I also bought some Pogostemon Erectus and any extra help would be greatfully received!

Bob,

My dad dont need any help! :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to Jim, it requires High light, Iron, Potassium plus normal ferts. I am using Easylife Ferro (iron) & Kallium (K) combined with TPN & TPN+

Then after 10 days or so prune, them to about two inches, remove the lower leaves off the cuttings and then replant.

Its sounds easy, yeah right!

ANdy

Back