• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45cm - 2011 IAPLC entry #577 - The Unknown Valley

Re: 90x45x45cm - The Unknown

bigmatt said:
That is very, very tasty indeed. I'm really quite jealous! :D
Matt
Tom said:
Cheers Both :thumbup:
George Farmer said:
Superb, Stu. Your best 'scape yet, I think.

Will you keep it going much longer, or are you ready for a new creation?

Are you entering this into the IAPLC?
Thanks George. Ill probably keep it going for a while yet as I love the ferns plus ive just put 36 Rasbora Maculata in which need to grow a bit. Ive got a Mini-m with everything ready to go apart from lights so will be scaping that when I get all the bits together.

When I do break it down it will be manzi wood this time, probably re-using the ferns from this one :)

It will be going in the IAPLC providing no disasters! Wont be bothering with the American comp this year (forgot the name) due to them not doing the comments anymore which I found really useful.
Dan Walter said:
This is awesome Stu. Cracking scape, well done!

Thanks Dan :)

stuworrall said:
Thanks George. Ill probably keep it going for a while yet as I love the ferns plus ive just put 36 Rasbora Maculata in which need to grow a bit. Ive got a Mini-m with everything ready to go apart from lights so will be scaping that when I get all the bits together.

When I do break it down it will be manzi wood this time, probably re-using the ferns from this one :)

It will be going in the IAPLC providing no disasters! Wont be bothering with the American comp this year (forgot the name) due to them not doing the comments anymore which I found really useful.
Good stuff mate. It's a crackin' 'scape and deserves to do well in any comp.

I also need to try a 'scape with Manzi - it's definitely the hardscape of the here and now. I was really impressed with the pieces Dan and I used in Germany.

It is a shame the AGA judges didn't leave much feedback last year. Hopefully things will improve this year.

George Farmer said:
Good stuff mate. It's a crackin' 'scape and deserves to do well in any comp.

I also need to try a 'scape with Manzi - it's definitely the hardscape of the here and now. I was really impressed with the pieces Dan and I used in Germany.
It is a shame the AGA judges didn't leave much feedback last year. Hopefully things will improve this year.

Cheers George. Ill see how it goes in the comp, im not holding out any hopes but it would be nice to get higher than I did last year in the 500's. Yeah I was disapointed with complete lack of comments in the AGA comp. I might email the organisers to see if theyre going to include it this year.

SteveUK said:
Awesome Stu! The cloudyness of the water makes it look like a tropical mountain range with the mist rolling in :)
Thanks steve, if theres any good excuse for having cloudy water then mist on a mountain range must be it :D

BigTom said:
Once again I'm amazed by how a scape I didn't like the look of at the start has turned out really, really beautiful. Good stuff.
Cheers Tom. It did look pretty sparse in the beginning but I knoew the ferns and fissidens would take over. if anything there is too much fissidens in there now.

Also before the trim the hairgrass and hyrocoytle in the back were reaching the surface like stems :)

a few more tonight. Its looking abit shabby in a few areas so will need a detailed trim before any comp photos are done. ive also noticed the grass at the back is looking a bit square after yesterdays trim so will need to grow a slope back into it.

creeping HC

the_unknown_16.jpg

Full tank. Im going to try it with a black background when I find some pegs for holding the board on (thanks to Mark for that idea :) )

the_unknown_17.jpg

Down the valley. Some shrimplets in the sand at the front and that Fissidens needs a damn good trim!

the_unknown_18.jpg

That is simply stunning. I take it the HC is growing on an isolated patch of sand? It looks fantastic creeping over the edge like that! The rocks are also looking progressively nicer as they green up a bit with algae - they look fantastically natural. Is it a bit rough in your tank? i only ask as the young shrimp seem to hang around in gangs... :lol:
Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit
Matt

bigmatt said:
That is simply stunning. I take it the HC is growing on an isolated patch of sand? It looks fantastic creeping over the edge like that! The rocks are also looking progressively nicer as they green up a bit with algae - they look fantastically natural. Is it a bit rough in your tank? i only ask as the young shrimp seem to hang around in gangs... :lol:
Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit
Matt
Cheers Matt :thumbup:

Yup the HC is growing where it wants at the moment. I got a pot from TGM and ripped a few chunks off and stuffed it in a few cracks and in that one spot of sand. Its grown really slowly as its juts getting ferts from the water column but it looks quite natural. When Ive given it the odd trim ive let the HC blow around the tank a bit and if it grabs onto somewhere and grows then all the better for random planting! Ive still got some BBA low down where I cant paint the easycarbo on as I dont want to drop too much water out of the tank at water change time. BBA seems to love lava rock :(

SteveUK said:
Stunning Stu :) The colours on the lava rock on the right of the first image are amazing.
Cheers steve. Theres actually a little cheat on that rock. Where the red is most prominent there was a fissidens rock that I moved so its not have any algae grwoth due to lack of light :)

Stu.......this is simply stunning! I absolutely love this scape, very different and very nice! The Plants are looking superb, that creeping HC is ace! Great stuff keep up the good work, I think this tank is a right inspiration. :thumbup:

B7fec said:
Stu.......this is simply stunning! I absolutely love this scape, very different and very nice! The Plants are looking superb, that creeping HC is ace! Great stuff keep up the good work, I think this tank is a right inspiration. :thumbup:
cheers Ben x 2 :D I'd hoped to do something different when I started it although I did have more of a cliff in mind but it turned into a hill and a half :)

Must get around to ordering that canvas off you too. Ive been spending on sample albums recently so will be getting frame and canvas samples to show people soon :thumbup:

Antoni said:
Very nice layout! I like the idea and the different approach you have! :thumbup:

Thanks Antoni :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
Must get around to ordering that canvas off you too. Ive been spending on sample albums recently so will be getting frame and canvas samples to show people soon

No worries Stu, will keep an eye open for your order....... :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
a few more tonight. Its looking abit shabby in a few areas so will need a detailed trim before any comp photos are done. ive also noticed the grass at the back is looking a bit square after yesterdays trim so will need to grow a slope back into it.

creeping HC

the_unknown_16.jpg

Full tank. Im going to try it with a black background when I find some pegs for holding the board on (thanks to Mark for that idea :) )

the_unknown_17.jpg

Down the valley. Some shrimplets in the sand at the front and that Fissidens needs a damn good trim!

the_unknown_18.jpg

I love this setup very much Stu,it reminds me of one of Amano,s but i cant find it yet in his book,but i will keep looking,

stunning work and great foresight in seeing what you were aiming for before it,s mature,

john.

john starkey said:
I love this setup very much Stu,it reminds me of one of Amano,s but i cant find it yet in his book,but i will keep looking,

stunning work and great foresight in seeing what you were aiming for before it,s mature,

john.
thanks john, very nice of you to say and I'd be interested to see it if you find it

Mark Evans said:
Quality stu.

I didnt picture the scape' like this, so hats off to ya mate!
Cheers Mark. im surprised with the amount of fissidens and ferns.

I thought Id update the pictures to show a timeline of how its developed over the last few months

Hardscape test

the_unknown.jpg

First planting

the_unknown_3.jpg

the_unknown_8.jpg

the_unknown_9.jpg

Now

the_unknown_17.jpg

One of the best I have ever seen, stunning.

Truly stunning. That main rock on the left thats pointing to the right ain't such a distraction anymore with the ferns partially obscuring it.

Back