• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What does one do with excess plants?

marthin

Hi guys/girls

what does one do with excess plants? Due to a very unplanned house move, I will be rescaping and most likely go smaller. That leave LOTS of plants. What to do?

Need a couple more posts before you can see the sell/swap/donate forum :)

But yes, you can usually find someone willing to re-home them, either for some money, or for the cost of postage. Offering them up for a donation to the forum us always nice :)

25 posts then yourl be able to post up in that thread :)

I'm pretty sure its 25

thanks guys, I'm sure I'll hit 25 soon and will then post.

Marthin's the name (yipeeeeeee!!!!!25)
My pygmy swords went nuts, got some lilaenopsis (cant spell this), cryptocorine, some big swords, some stems. (dont ask me the names) just threw away half a bucket of trimmings, that was 2 weeks after the last trimmings and my CO2 was not running.

Goodness gracious.. how on earth did it happen. Removing the plants from the tank, I now have a bucket off excess plants..

Apologies for the hijack, but am in a similar position and my cuttings end up in the bin. Am keen to donate some to members (and would like to sell a few to pay for tank maintenance) but could anyone give me tips on packaging plants?

How do you guys pack them up? Do you send them in boxes or will padded envelopes do? If the latter, how do you stop them getting squished? Is royal mail 2nd class adequate or is that too long in the dark?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Have no experience of this at all.

I have been planting mine on the garden and given some to a local shop. Have a bucket on the yard full of crypts and Cypherus helferi to take to the shop tomorrow, crypts do not grow well on the British weather, I've tried it before.

hotweldfire said:
Am keen to donate some to members (and would like to sell a few to pay for tank maintenance) but could anyone give me tips on packaging plants?
Submersed plants are at risk of dessication. I've been out of the country for a while so not sure if Tesco sell ziploc (sealable) baggies like this==> http://www.ziplock-bags.co.uk/

Drop them in the baggie, press to seal the top and evacuate the air. This keeps moisture in. If you can't find these sealable baggies then use any food grade Polythene bags, but make sure you seal the opening with strong tape. Padded envelopes works, or put shredded paper in the envelope for a bit of protection.

If you're sending a lot of plants in one go then consider a small box filled with newspaper.

Cheers,

Back