• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's 60cm "The Science of Autumn" - New photos 21/04/11

Re: Steve's 60cm "The Science of Autumn" - photos & video 14

Thanks everyone :) Starting to contemplate CO2... I think I'm going to invest in an UP! Atomiser shortly. I'm toying with the idea of moving my lily outflow to the left side "blowing" across the front of the tank, but watching fish behaviour (I've been sitting watching the tank off and on for days, it's addictive!) they all like to swim in the deflected flow that comes back from left to right at the front of the tank, so they all swim around at the front. If I move it I suspect they'll all stay around the back :rolleyes:

I still need to do some more planting. I'm still trying to decide on a background plant. Hygro difformis is high on the list, but I'm also wondering about full sized Bolbitis. I had it growing in this tank before a few years back (last time this tank was setup - see my old journal). It might get a little large, but if I keep it in check it might look good :)

I ordered the UP! Aqua inline diffuser last night, so should have it next week :) I just need to get a couple of 500g CO2 bottles filled up and swap a few things around between this tank and my nano and all is sorted. I might need to get some more CO2 tubing thinking about it.

Ohh the Up atomiser is very very nice, Must come over and see them. maybe on the way to matts

Amazing, really makes me want to set up my 60cm. Shame the landlord things even my nano is too much tank running.
Co2 is a must I reckon, even in these low tech situations, I was reading that someone over on ASW was running a 15w t8 and growing glosso and hc comfortably simply by the addition of co2 and ferts.

The crypts I planted have started to look pretty healthy, bar one group on the left which I suspect will melt (they're in the flow from the outlet and still have bendy stems even though all the others have straightened up).

Just browsing around... I mean... doing some work... :lol: I'm looking at Myriophyllum mattogrossense as a background plant too. So the background plant list is:

Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Hygrophilla Difformis
Bolbitis Heudolitii

I suspect my tiny LFS had a load of this for sale when I visited a few weeks back. I might pop back if I can and take a look. I'll definitely need to re-position my outlet if I use this plant though, else it'll be growing horizontally along the back of the tank :lol:

A quick update photo. Nothing much to report other than a small amount of crypt melt from one of the crypts on the rear right. I'm also trying out some floating plants. I tried them before but they were being blasted all over by the flow around the tank. They seem to be staying put for now.

5641862794_849fbe292a_b.jpg

Re: Steve's 60cm "The Science of Autumn" - New photos 21/04/

You can grab some of my Bolbitis Heudolitii next Sat :)

Great to see you back in the game Steve,o,that trip to vivarium certainly got the juices flowing didn,t it,i must say you have always come up with good composition and design,that bedroom shot is great even the wife thought so too,

good work mate,

john.

a1Matt said:
You can grab some of my Bolbitis Heudolitii next Sat :)

Thanks again for the offer Matt, but I managed to get a pretty large bolbitis on lava rock from my local P@H for not much. It's probably 3 or 4 "pots" worth! It needs a little TLC, but isn't in bad shape really.

It's been in there for a few hours now, and every time I look at the tank (whilst playing about with a little nano I'm setting up to take to work in a few weeks) I can't help thinking it looks wrong. I'm going to keep it in there for a while and see what it looks like in a few weeks time.

sanj said:
So... what is the science of autumn? :D

It was the title of the track I used on my short video, which I really like, and I thought it kind of suited the scape :) To me, it has autumnal colours with the browns and such, and it's "low light" indicative of dull days and nights drawing in etc. Also, there's a lot of science in what we do with our aquascapes! :)

john starkey said:
Great to see you back in the game Steve,o,that trip to vivarium certainly got the juices flowing didn,t it,i must say you have always come up with good composition and design,that bedroom shot is great even the wife thought so too,

good work mate,

john.

George Farmer said:
Classic NA. Lovely!

Thanks John and George :)

Looking at the tank is one of the first things I do in the morning now. It makes me late for work some days :lol: Hopefully it will help persuade Anne to let you have a little tank in the bedroom maybe John? :angelic:

Steve,o you should know better mate,Ann is becoming a hard nut to crack these,especially in the bedroom :twisted: , :crazy: , :lol: :lol: ,

john

A little update. Not much to report really. It went nearly 9 days without a water change (I intended to switch to a 7 day schedule but the weekend sorta got in the way!). As a result I had a very small spot of diatoms on the front glass.

I've bought 4 pots of crypts which I intend to distribute between this tank and two nanos. Crypt Legroi, wenditii brown/undulata and Moehlmannii. Bit of a mix but I want to try out some different species. The tank isn't too pretty right now as I have 6 pots of plants in storage!

Still working on getting CO2 sorted out as well :)

Back