• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Period

John Starkey

Hi All, i just wondered what you think is the optimum lighting time for your setup,i was having mine on for eight 8hr 30mins,with no algae issue,s at all, i have tried to up it to 9hrs and i have noticed tiny black spots coming on the staurogyne,so i will lower it back down,i think it would interesting to see what you people find to be your best photo period,

john.

Hi John

I run anything between 6 and 10hrs.

I've read that set-ups with lower lighting require longer photoperiods and vice-versa, but personally base my photoperiods on how much/little growth I want, no matter the intensity.

If I know I'm not going to be around to maintain my tanks for a while I'll drop all my tanks down to 6hrs. If I'm on leave and around to view and maintain the tank then I'll boost it up to 10hrs. CO2 is also adjusted along with the photoperiod.

8hrs is a good starting point, in my experience. Maybe less during the start-up period in new tanks (6 to 7hrs for 3 weeks or so).

8hrs, from 14.30 - 22.30 hrs. At eight hours i have only ever experienced minimal algae, which has been corrected with C02 or flow.

6 hours for me. I tend to stick to that for the tanks life.

In the coming set up, i'll be starting with 5 hours, as i'm away during the week.

I will start with as little as 3 hours.

Once a tank is fully bedded in then I set the light period to suit my viewing times. Currently 10 hours on my 160l, but I will think nothing of overriding the timer if I am in all day... today I will have a 15 hour or so photoperiod. Sometimes I forget to flick the timer mode back on and it ends up on for 24 hours straight. I am really not fussed about it at all.

Eight hours for my low tech tank. Any more, and hair algae begins forming on tips of tall plant's.
Eighty gallon tank with three 32 watt T8 bulbs.

6-9 hours here, I tend to start with 5 and then up it over several months watching when the plants close their leaves for clues if I need more or not.

Back