• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rock Identification Help

m_attt

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody could tell me what the rock is in the picture bellow,

Many thanks

Matt

2n0vpzm.jpg

cheers guys, both look possible. but finding aything like it for sale is impossible :(

What about coal? It's quite a lot shinier than those rocks though, and I doubt you'd find the white veins.

Those are some nice looking rocks!

Hi all,
I don't think that it is Obsidian or Flint (definitely both black and shiny), because of the bands of quartz. Possibly Gneiss, although I don't think that would look glossy, or most likely a very fine grained Basalt or Gabbro, with a later quartz intrusion?

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I don't think that it is Obsidian or Flint (definitely both black and shiny), because of the bands of quartz. Possibly Gneiss, although I don't think that would look glossy, or most likely a very fine grained Basalt or Gabbro, with a later quartz intrusion?

cheers Darrel

Can see why you have the title "expert!" :thumbup:

Nice stones...I second the vote for basalt with quartz inclusions. I've had a look around and can't seem to find anywhere to buy stones that look like these. I'd have a look around quarries, if you haven't, you never know what you might find :)

thanks for the help, some of the replys do look close but finding them for sale is a whole different game, two days of googling and nothing :(

Back