• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yellowing of Leaves - Kinda see through.

youmustcomply

Hello,

I'm hoping to identify the deficiency i seem to be noticing. I seem to have yellowing of tips of the leaves, and several with brown spots on them.
200 Litre Roma
I have 2x39w T5HO bulbs on for 7 hours a day.
co2 - On 2 hours before lights, 1 hour before off.
Eheim 2075 - Spray bar along the back with UP Atomiser
2 x Hydors nano Koralias 900ltrsH
Substrate - 30litres of Tesco cat litter

Everything seems to be growing, everything is gently swaying.
This is my dosage using EI:
CSM+B = 1.25 teaspoon to 200 ml of water and dose 25 ml two times per week.

5.625tsp KNO3
1.875tsp KH2PO4
15tsp MgSO4
Add these to 500ml of tap or distilled water = Dose 40ml 4 times a week
I also do a small water change on Wednesday so dose an extra NPK on a friday.
Normal 50% water change on a sunday.

I have two drop checkers one in each side of the tank using proper 4dkh water. Both are a lovely lime green just as lights turn on.

I seem to have brown algae at the moment but i think this is because its a new scape thats only 2 weeks old.
Here are some pictures :
IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

And my clown sat there and allowed me to take a picture:
IMG_1207.jpg

Any help much appreciated.

Jon

Forgot to mention, i believed it was Magnesium, so I have now upped that to 15tsp. This started last week.

Hi YMC

guess these are Nitrogen (nitrate) deficiencies.. Expert might weigh in.
Perhaps CO2 is also acting weak, and flow issues as ceg will surely come up with..

Of course (as always) I might be wrong :)

cheers
niru

Nitrates! I would be surprised as my water from tap is about 40ppm.
Thanks for the input, I have been looking at James website, but i have been having issues determining exactly what is what.

I'm gonna say CO2, even if your drop checkers show green - Dosing EI you shouldn't have deficiency issues, and with the spray bar and 2x Koralias one would hope your flow would be adequate. How do you have the Koralias positioned? How much CO2 are you injecting? If it's not the amount of CO2, its got to be distribution surely.

Hi YMC

I said nitrates because the yellowing leaf is a classic NO3 e.g., but like many multiple entries, it could be something else. Do any leaves show small black spots etc?
CO2 distribution because the amazon sword leaf has this big dark patch that slowly melts & gets bigger..

As Tom says the flow is good numberwise, but perhaps the distribution suffers by incoherency in the flow???

Corki said:
I don’t believe it’s a fert deficiency as the tanks only 2 weeks old. I just think the plants are planted too deep in the substrate. If the rhizome is buried in the substrate then the plant will rot (especially swords)

This could be a downside to the cat litter, its so 'light' plants try and float away.

youmustcomply said:
Nitrates! I would be surprised as my water from tap is about 40ppm.
Thanks for the input, I have been looking at James website, but i have been having issues determining exactly what is what.

How do you know its 40ppm? Hobby grade test kit? In that case, it could be 4ppm for all we know. They are consistently innaccurate.
CO2 gets my vote.

quick way to check gas distribution it to have a good close look at the mist created by your atomizer - it should be reaching EVERYWHERE without exception. If it's not, fiddle with the flow until it does! As a couple of people have said you have plenty of flow, but if it doesn't work together this tends to create problems rather than solve them! Remember as well that if you change anything it'll take a couple of weeks to see any effect - one of the many frustrating aspects of this game! Have fun - let us know how you're getting on! Matt

I am definetely not an authority,...but kindly allow me to echo the same opinion. "It's definetely CO2" because I had the same issues with my Blyxas rotting . your 2nd picture there with that low lying plant with glassy & torn looking leaves,....that's exactly how my Blyxa Japonicas looked like until I improved my co2 injection method from an in tank ceramic disc to a mini inline reactor. By the time I switched to the reactor most of my plant had rot minus a few strands of leaves here & there. It took about 2 weeks or more before things started looking better for the plant ( by this I don't mean a nice bushy Amano Style Blyxa but just some fresh new leaves that were not torn looking or glassy looking anymore. )

Hope I helped ,...in someway.

Faizal

Things seem to be improving as i have moved the plants from right at the edge of the tank. I seem to be suffering loads of brown algae now, and green algae.
How do people advise having the spray bar and Nanos configured?
Currently my spray bar is along the back with the two nanos either side of it kind of moving water down.
I'll post some pictures up shortly.

Thanks guys

Back