• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Stumpy" 17mm glassware inlet?

Garuf said:
17.5cm Happy medium ;)?
15cm for me in this case. But I'm not forking out my own cash to risk making these, so it's up the potential investor; in this case Edis and Juri.

I do think it's a great idea, the more I think about it. Especially in these more environment-conscious times (less raw materials, less energy to manufacture and transport).

All my tanks have been 30cm tall or less and I don't think many will stray above the 10cm+ mark, substrate I always found levelled out much too fast if you went above it, the angle of repose was just too steep for tanks as wide as they are tall.
My 60cm iwagumi is now 12 months old and has maintained a 12cm substrate at the rear - hence why I think 15cm is a good starting point. :thumbup:

"Stumpy" 17mm glassware inlet?

I would also buy a 15cm, my wabi trays are 20cm tall, and it is short enough.

A 15cm lilypipe would be very versatile.

Edis, do say when they are available, call them GF 15 model! :D

On the shorter outlet in larger tanks. Maybe i am wrong but even if you unplug the filter you need to close the head unit otherwise the short glass will suck air to the filter. This never happens with longer pipes.

Of course you only need to take care to turn off the head unit at every water changes.

I do not agree with George about the circulation. Shorter pipes has disadvantage especially with clay type of substrates, maybe with sand type too. Even with good circulation a short pipe will not suck the floating clouds from the bottom 1/3 of the tank which cause the cloudiness the most. You can't solve it with good circulation and circulation pumps.

But i agree short pipe cost less, maybe works better to some if the above reasons are not real issues.

edit: of course if the tank is not that tall the shorter pipe could work well.

Hope i not hijack the topic ;) :thumbup:

Good points, Viktor! Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

I agree it's a good idea to shut off the filter inlet/outlet valves to prevent air ingress if the water line is dropped.

I've used a nano ("stumpy") 12mm inlet in taller aquariums (36cm and 45cm tall, and with Aqua Soil) but did not notice any disadvantage over longer 12mm inlets, so our experiences are different perhaps.

However, I do perform large water changes after any maintenance, especially any that causes the clouding you refer to. I find water changes are the best way to prevent algae issues after disturbing the substrate.

I find it inconceivable really that the "big" players in filters (eheim, tetratec and the like) aren't supplying the range of intakes/outlets that the market clearly would like. I know planted tanks are a small market, but equally i don't think "normal" aquarists wouldn't be happy with clear intakes and outlets. It just seems insane that we have to rely on the asian markets (by and large) to get the kit!
If i had the ventrue capital... :D
Matt

So we will try to make maybe 2 sets and test it to see... Cost wise the price is almost the same. Glass price is a very little fraction of the manufacturing process. Or thats what we are told by the blowers :)

Back