• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plant is this?

niru

Hi All

saw this plant in the lfs today... was wondering if its some kind of Rotala or a Nesea?? The upper and lower leaves look totally different
dsc0042xio.jpg
dsc0041hv.jpg

There was no labeling as it came from some South East Asean dealer..

-niru

Looks like a hygrophila to me.

The difference in leaves is most likely because it's in the middle of adapting to to submerged growth, so the lower leaves are immerse growth still (and will probably die off).

Don't the upper ones look delicate and have a coppery red? Also the pattern on stem and leaf shape doesn't match hygrophilia (unless emmersed ones change drastically). So kinda confused.

I too thought it's R. Macandra but the color and leaf shape of top leaves plus arrangement looked more like Nesea red. These are more pointed, narrow and looking upwards.

Unlike H. Polysperma, there are no veins nor the redish tinge!

Damn, bet me Darrel, it's definitely nesaea, I don't think it's cf. "Red leaved" though, I think it's Nesaea crassicaulis. It's a beautiful plant, I grew it's close relative N. pedicularta and it was a real weed, very co2 hungry though.

Garuf said:
Damn, bet me Darrel, it's definitely nesaea, I don't think it's cf. "Red leaved" though, I think it's Nesaea crassicaulis. It's a beautiful plant, I grew it's close relative N. pedicularta and it was a real weed, very co2 hungry though.

yes its a nesaea crassicaulis, have one in my tank and still have the label for it. :)

ammannia%20gracilis.jpg

Above is a picture of true ammania, the leaves are much more like Nesaea, I've grown both, the plant in question here looks much more like nesaea.

Hi All

would this help: The plant is in the south east asia section and the lfs gals swore that it came from one of their Thai contacts. They advertise it as non CO2 requiring modestly medium-easy difficult plant. They also said that its not a cultivar and comes from natural habitats from SE Asia.

Ammania comes from West Africa, but Nesaea as well, dont they? The leaf size & colour transformation seems phenomenal to me.

Back