• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm opti-white - Update

Re: 60 cm opti-white - Planted!

Thank you, bigmatt!

Nice start mate, I liked the hardscape you had further up the page but this ones still cool.

What's the flowrate on the filter? I think your going to do some serious money on co2 bottle man!!

nayr88 said:
Nice start mate, I liked the hardscape you had further up the page but this ones still cool.

What's the flowrate on the filter? I think your going to do some serious money on co2 bottle man!!

From the start I actually used the layout with the rocks and wood sloping from right to left, but I did'nt like the outcome after planting, so I ordered som more plants and made this layout.

The filter is on 300 l/h and the PH is on 1750 l/h. So the flow is pretty good... 8)
We'll see with the CO2, I might purchase a larger system if it gets too expensive.

i promise you it WILL be to expensive haha

yeah mate flow seems good, where did you pick the filter up from looks really smart.

The filter is an eden 501. I think it can be bought on ebay...

Found my old (very old) digital camera and took a snap shot. The quality is still awful, but at least it's an improvement from the former picture. :lol:

DSCN3887.JPG

Things are going are going pretty well so far. I'm changing 50% every other or third day, the aquasoil is still coloring the water a bit.
Some of the crypt leaves are melting, but there's already new ones on the way. Bolbitis weren't looking good so I cut of all leaves today. I hope it survives.
I have a little thread algae, but almost solely on melting leaves, so hopefully it won't become a problem...

I'm not sure about the riccia... Do you think I should keep it? I sure if it's just a disturbing element or it actually gives some variation in the sides of the layout... What do you think?

I'm thinking of buying some amano shrimps and otocinclus today.
The problem is that I live rather far from a good shop and I don't have any test kits for ammonia and nitrate.. :thumbdown: So I have to drive 20 km to buy the test kits and test the water and if the parameters are good I'll have to drive further 60 km to a shop where the species I want are in stock.
Do you even think this is worth the bother or will there probably still be ammonia and/or nitrate in the water? The tank has been running for a little over 2 weeks btw.

Not a bad picture at all :)

Really like this tank, I know what you mean about the riccia, it looks OK....just keep it trimmed in shape otherwise it gets abit messy.

If you was to ring the store 1st and ask if they will do test on you water if you bring some in :) I'm sure they will, and if they say its all clear than get the otto.

nayr88 said:
Really like this tank, I know what you mean about the riccia, it looks OK....just keep it trimmed in shape otherwise it gets abit messy.

If you was to ring the store 1st and ask if they will do test on you water if you bring some in :) I'm sure they will, and if they say its all clear than get the otto.

Thanks mate.
My plan is also take a sample of water with me. :D

DSCN3895.JPG

Things are still going well in the tank (Seiryu stone's only there to keep the wood from floating).
I've had some problems with the microsorum leaves turning black and dying, so I had to remove most of the leaves.
Except from that (and the bolbitis) are all plants doing well, but they're not growing as fast as Marks. :thumbdown:
I need you to bless my plants, Mark! :lol:

Yesterday I trimmed the R. indica and removed the lower part with emersed leaves, so it''s looking a bit empty in the left side right now.

This crappy picture shows just how brown the new leaves on C. becketii var. petchii are. I think it's going to look good together with the reddish stems. I hope to create a feeling of autumn in the scape, when it grows in.

DSCN3893.JPG

DSCN3894.JPG

Next week I'll get access to a Canon 40D so hopefully I'll be able to take better pictures. :)

Re: 60 cm opti-white - 3 weeks

Suggestions on fish are welcome btw.:)

George Farmer said:
Nice layout! That wood is gorgeous.

Once the ferns, moss and crypts mature, it will be a great aquascape.

JEK said:
...but they're not growing as fast as Marks.
I don't think many folk can do that! Nothing wrong with slow and steady. :)

Thanks, George. :)
No, he's in a class of his own. I'm happy as long as there's no algaeproblems. :D

I'm happy as long as there's no algaeproblems

Ye keep it looking clean Johan, you got to prefer algae free to fast growth....... nice looking scape :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
very nice setup jek :) ive just put a load of bolbitus in my nano so im hoping it moves ok from my spare tank to that one as the spare didnt have co2
Thanks, mate. Good luck with the bolbitis. :)

Ye keep it looking clean Johan, you got to prefer algae free to fast growth....... nice looking scape :thumbup:
Thank you!

Galaxy Rasboras?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Had a little disaster with the CO2 kit today. I was changing the canister and this was what happened:
DSCN3898.JPG

The guy I bought it from will send a new tomorrow so I will probably have CO2 again saturday. Is it best to turn off the light until I got CO2 again or maybe shorten the photoperiod to a couple of hours only?

nayr88; you were right about that it would get too expensive with the small CO2 kit - especially when the regulator breaks after changing canister two times. :lol:
I'm going to buy a larger system very soon.

If anyone could answer my question about the photoperiod, I will be most grateful.:)

Back