• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

filter advice from shop...is it correct????

George Farmer said:
950lph is likely fine. Even if you only get 1/3 of that then that's 5x turnover. With lower lighting and decent maintenance, lower levels of circulation are acceptable in my experience.

I realise the 10x 'rule' is commonplace - it's a nice round figure for planted tank beginners that will likely have more lighting and spend less time maintaining, so it's a good starting point. :thumbup:

Thats what I thought:) ill only be using 24w max so should do until i decide to go HC mad:) and as its going to be mostly moss - should be adequate.
It was a good deal to... i thought..all media included £199, free delivery, next day. That money saved is going to be for some glassware. so really no money saved!

Well my new filter has arrived, unwrapped and ready to go.

couple of questions:

1/ all i have is the ADA in there and manzi wood. Should I fill it and start cycling even though there are no plants, probably just the moss tied to some wire mesh. I was going to this for a month until westy gets back and sends me some xmas moss. then i was going to take the wood out and then tie the moss on and scape it properly.

2/ would this process and release of ammonia cause algae outbreak? as plants arent there to absorb the excess and the filter not being mature. I was planning on doing this with no light or just an 11 arcpod.

3/ i actually think it will take ages and ages to get a carpet of moss. I have a bit of glosso left over from my nano, would this grow alright under and 11w, more to the point carpet. I have tried it with an 18w but it just grew upward even tough i trimmed it hard about 4 times. I this tank though its 5cm shorter so would that make the difference?

thanks

Back