• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Blue Sky' Iwagumi ...overgrown

Re: 'Blue Sky' Iwagumi @ 4 weeks

George Farmer said:
Nice to see some red...

:lol: I want it from plants though

JEK said:
Will P. axelrodi be the only species in there?

Is that the lastin for Cardinals? :oops: Possibly mate. i still want gold tetras though.

I'm home for a while now, and the wife's lost all interest, so i can maybe change the fish without her noticing. :shh:

Mark Evans said:
George Farmer said:
Nice to see some red...

:lol: I want it from plants though

JEK said:
Will P. axelrodi be the only species in there?

Is that the lastin for Cardinals? :oops: Possibly mate. i still want gold tetras though.

I'm home for a while now, and the wife's lost all interest, so i can maybe change the fish without her noticing. :shh:

Paracheirodon axelrodi is latin for Cardinals, yes. :lol:
I could'nt remember the english popular name, so that why I wrote it in latin. :)

Gold tetras will look great in the scape. Do it, mate :thumbup: She won't notice, they're almost the same. :D

JEK said:
Paracheirodon axelrodi is latin for Cardinals, yes. :lol:

As of curiosity, P. axelrodi is actually its true name. All other names are referred to as common names and they are a mess because they vary regionally. Hence the use latin in science to name all the species. A common language to all regardless of people's native language.

The first name (here Paracheirodon) identifies the genus to which the species belongs and it always starts with a capital letter. The second name (here axelrodi) is always written with non-capital letters and it identifies the species. And as correctly done above, their name is always written in italics, (or normal font if the text is all written in italics).

cheers,

GM

I know I am just echoing what is being said here but It's very beautiful Mark. Really like how your stems there have a very compacted look at the background. Congratulations. :)

clicked on the pic and it's even better when clicked on and enlarged. Brilliant photography! I need to pop round for a lesson. The plants look uber healthy, awesome!

ianho said:
clicked on the pic and it's even better when clicked on and enlarged. Brilliant photography!

Thanks Ian. :)

JEK said:
Gold tetras will look great in the scape. Do it, mate She won't notice

I've found some platinum tetras...wonderful fish. I'll get them at the weekend.

faizal said:
I know I am just echoing what is being said here but It's very beautiful Mark

Cheers matey. Thanks. :thumbup:

Things have slowed down somewhat. After every trim, the plants recover much slower. I cant for the life of me find ottos :twisted: and i could do with some.

Here's a shot using 1 200w flash. The back lighting is uneven, but it gives an idea of what I'd like in the final images.

after-trim-5.jpg

theres loads in the MA at Lincoln, Black Ottos to be precise. Nice looking little things.

Mark Evans said:
john starkey said:
Just speechless mate,

Cheers mate.

I've been informed that there's one or 2 that dont believe this tanks age o_O ...rumours eh :lol:

Here's a close up (high res, click on it,and magnify ;) ) after the trim. You can see the cut line on the stems

uber-1.jpg

Why do people have to think that it's untrue about the age :twisted: ,make's me angry,or maybe they just wish they were as good as you :lol: ,

John.

I've found some platinum tetras...wonderful fish. I'll get them at the weekend.
I'm sure they will fit the scape nicely. :thumbup:
Are you going to keep the cardinals in the scape also?

Hi Guys. It's been a while. Over 2 weeks! :wideyed:

I've gone to hell and back with this tank.

A badly timed trim, helped trigger diatoms. It covered everything. Anyway, after TLC, ottos and shrimp, it's all but gone now.

I also bought some SAE's which are a pain in the blahblahblahblah! They decided to build some kind of nest under the HC! :twisted:

Here's a pic from tonight, after lights out. The stems are closed, and the drop checker is blue, as i'm adding o2 via raising the lilly pipe @ night.

The 10 shrimp and 6 ottos, have done wonders on the stones.

night-night.jpg

Here's a photo from tonight. sorry about the make shift Black background.

after-algae.jpg

The stems in the back, still need a couple more trims to acquire the 'bush' look. Over all the tank needs a little 'tidy up'

When i receive my geissman lighting, i'm going to put in one of the powerchrome bulbes to see the difference in colour temp. :D

Re: 'Blue Sky' Iwagumi adding O2

Just thought I'd share my evening regime of adding O2. I just raise the lilly pipe. I've not done this in every tank I've done, but when i do, there's seems to be a marked improvement over all. Health water clarity etc...fish and shrimp love it!

It's Also helped eliminate diatoms quicker to.

adding-o2.jpg

viktorlantos said:
Surface scum goes away til the beginning of the day.

strangely enough, I've not had any with this tank. Not even in the day, when the surface is flat calm.

Mark Evans said:
viktorlantos said:
Surface scum goes away til the beginning of the day.

strangely enough, I've not had any with this tank. Not even in the day, when the surface is flat calm.

Usually there's something wrong with the plants if you see that. Or just get warmer with a few degrees etc etc. There could be many reason. They appear, then we not see them for weeks. But the night aeration do the job whenever it appears.

Sorry for the OFF ;)

Piece-of-fish said:
Come on Mark, get those scissors out

It's in need of TLC for sure. To be honest, after the diatoms, i decided to leave everything until they're gone. They've receded, so now i can start to trim again :D

I mentioned earlier about the SAE's 'digging' in the HC.

Here's a pic of the hole they've made. Right in the middle.

Also, as Ed mentions, i think it's time for a trim. Stems are now beginning to grow out of the water.

hole.jpg

Back