• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rio180,jungle attempt -Paintball Tank co2 setup-update 22/07

m_attt

Hi,

I'm new to the site, have been keeping fish for a few years now and had semi planted tanks, and lately have caught the bug for heavily planted and am hoping that I can get this tank to the style that's full of plants (Dutch??) this is also my first attempt at carpeting and always loved the look of hair grass, but looking on this site it doesn't seam all that popular. also supprised its carpeted seen as its in plain sand and only using bottle ferts. will hopefully be making the swap to EI and pressurised co2 at the end of the month when money allows for a reg.

so far i have planted one side, just trying to find a nice broad leaf plant maybe a red/brown ozelot or crypt to fill the gap were the sword is as its been munched by my plec. Unless someone has any recommendations as my plant knowledge is poor to say the least :). on the other side im thinking a big java fern on the wood and haven't decided what else again any recommendations?

last question for now :) is it just a case of letting them grow now to get that lovely fully planted look?

04042011789.jpg

04042011791.jpg

04042011794.jpg

Re: rio180, attemp at fully planted

oh and the moss is temporary for the shrimp untill i can find something to fill the gap :) so if anyone wants any its growing rapidly.

looking very nice mate, the grass looks lush, ive just put some in mine behind my lilaeopsis, its been in just over a week but not getting much growth, and that helferi looks really really nice. especially with just ferts. Never had any luck with it. Will be watching this journal......give me some ideas for my current one :)

:) thanks, my grass was like that took a few weeks before it did much then went mental, same with the helfri just took a pic of that end of the tank, never look there as its against the wall and just realised how much its actualy grown and spread it was only 5 small plants not much bigger than a 50p only been there about 4/5 weeks again they did nothing for 3 weeks then exploded.

I have only been using easycarbo and profito and have no fancy substrates so supprised they have done as well as they have :)

04042011798.jpg

Nice start Matt, its not dutch yet but it can get there, all you need is more stems grouped together in the same species ;) but I like the hairgrass carpet, well done :)

ALt81 said:
its given me the bug now to go try some helferi again, looks really nice, for only 3 weeks too

:) i think its tropica stuff from the planted tank, was quite cheap iirc and postage is set at 1.35 how ever many you buy.

LondonDragon said:
Nice start Matt, its not dutch yet but it can get there, all you need is more stems grouped together in the same species ;) but I like the hairgrass carpet, well done :)

sorry missed this, ha yeah its nowhere near being called anything yet, but hopefully can slighty resemble dutch in the future. an thanks for the comments :)

small update, started replacing the moss, so far some narrow leaf java fern from the for sale section.

13042011813.jpg

13042011814.jpg

13042011816.jpg

one of my corys, as its not all about the plants :)

17022011609.jpg

SteveUK said:
Love that photo! Perfectly lined up in formation :lol:

:D wasnt one to miss, looks like they about to do a raid on the cave under the log :lol:

small update, thanks to chilled84 i now have a nice big bunch of crypts to fill another area, so now i think its just down to lots of stems to fill all the gaps.

18042011020.jpg

18042011026.jpg

few random shots of tank

18042011022.jpg

18042011023.jpg

18042011017.jpg

18042011021.jpg

18042011028.jpg

have now managed to sort a regulator and start setting up co2 system, have it running through a ceramic diffuser wile i wait for a inline one to turn up. using a thread convertor so i can paintball tanks instead of FE's

have also filled in a few more gaps with plants, so its getting there, just a few more stems need now :)

27042011050.jpg

27042011058.jpg

Re: rio180, attemp at fully planted- Paintball Tank co2 setu

bit of an update,

after i swapped over to EI, a few of the plants melted and bit of neglect and dodgy reg or up atomizer, I got an algae out brake. so ripped out a few plants and re arranged my favourites at one end of the tank, got a new piece of wood for the other and took some cuttings and moved them across. so will get a few more plants to fill in holes and let the cuttings grow and see how it looks. also the hair grass bounced back and is now a nice thick carpet

02062011185.jpg

06062011194.jpg

07062011204.jpg

07062011205.jpg

07062011203.jpg

m_attt, can you share some more info on your paintball tank set up please?

idris said:
m_attt, can you share some more info on your paintball tank set up please?

its you standard reg (FE thread), with an adapter from AE that converts cga320 to dinn477 so can run a normal set up on smaller tanks. :) plus i wor at a paintball centre an refill bottles ;)

Bobtastic said:
Looking really nice M_attt! I'm jealous of your lawn!

thanks :) first proper attempt at one too was only using easy carbo till recently so wasnt expecting it to take as it did.

Thanks m_attt. How long does a cylinder last and at what bpm?

Back