• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will different moss avoid Algae?

cptdavep

Seedling
I remodelled and replanted my tank about 3 of weeks ago, all plants are growing really well and look great except the java moss which is on my wood and is getting covered in Algae and looks horrible (has brown wispy algae and blueish fuzzy looking algae - sorry not sure what sort that is!). Since all the other plants are growing well with no algae I'd like to know if switching to a different moss on the wood would be better? The moss is in the middle of the tank so getting lots of light.

My tank is 90L and has 2 15w T8s and 2 24w T5s (with rubbish reflectors). I use TPN+ and pressurised CO2. PH 7.5. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. Nitrate about 40 but the test seems unreliable...

Thanks!

Simple answer is no, all plant demands are the same more or less, algae and or poor health are a sign that you're not meeting them, that said, an originally more healthy moss might help matters if you allow the tank time to recover before adding it.

Moss can gather lots of debris within its structure I think this might sometimes cause problems.
I have found moss tanks need particular attention to mechanical filtration & good even flow.
I have a friend who has a beautiful moss tank, he uses two oscillating devices fitted to his water returns instead of a spray bar, more resembling marine tank set up but it is the cleanest moss display I have seen.

Thanks for replies. So how come it's really bad on my moss, but I have pretty much nothing on other plants and elsewhere in the tank? I was assuming it was something to do with the moss. It wasn't in great condition when I added it (lots of brown bits) but is growing. Is Algae just something you have to deal with on mosses?

Yep, here you go

First, the wood with moss on it. The algae gets worse every day...
wood.jpg

And a closeup
algae.jpg

Other than this algae I just have small amounts of normal stuff elsewhere (little bit on the wood itself, normal amount on glass etc)

Cheers!

About 2 bubbles a second using an inline up diffuser and spraybar.

OK. If I were you the first thing I would do is remove as much of the algae as you can manually with a toothbrush/tweesers, lose both T8 bulbs, then try 3 bps for a little while - see how that goes. It might also help to trim moss back heavily. Hopefully the new growth would come back nice and healthy.

Tom

Back