• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sulawesi Poso Shrimp?

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hey guys, got this at Vivarium from Chris Lukhaup, he says they were blue sulawesi shrimp, they actually vary in colour and shade, green, blue, brown, mixed, etc.... not really sure what to make of these, but they breed as fast as cherries and like various temps, unlike most sulawesis these can live in colder temps and lower PH.

Manage to get my camera to sort of work today, its hard to get it to focus now, need to buy a new one, this on manual with the macro lenses.

pict0164h.jpg

pict0166h.jpg

pict0196c.jpg

pict0247.jpg

pict0246i.jpg

pict0194g.jpg

pict0185s.jpg

pict0235z.jpg

pict0214m.jpg

pict0183a.jpg

pict0179c.jpg

pict0211g.jpg

pict0208t.jpg

pict0175v.jpg

pict0170e.jpg

pict0206m.jpg

Maybe soon enough I will have some of these to share with people.

Thanks for looking :)

Hi all,
I don't know what they are, but I really like them. You may be able to discount some types of shrimp from the shape of the rostrum, the little smooth or serrated extension right at the front of the head between the eyes. On the close up the rostrum looks smooth (non-serrated) and fairly long.

cheers Darrel

Bobtastic said:
Very nice LD! Maybe they'll be ready in time for their new home in my tank! ;)
Thanks Bob, when I have some available I will let you know ;)

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I don't know what they are, but I really like them. You may be able to discount some types of shrimp from the shape of the rostrum, the little smooth or serrated extension right at the front of the head between the eyes. On the close up the rostrum looks smooth (non-serrated) and fairly long.
Thanks Darrel, they were brought over from Hong Kong on Chris last trip there, I know he collected quite a few shrimp in the wild himself (A1matt had a few of his great wild CRS) so not sure if these were also wild collected, don't get me wrong I like them and they look so different from anything else too, best thing is that they are breeding quite well, which is a bonus, don't think anyone else has these, only seen a couple of references regarding these shrimp on the web after a lot of searching lol

I might get some of these next, they look awesome and apparently breed well too:

photo_112.jpg

Also tempted by these other Poso shrimp, which might be a mix of the ones I have:

Poso-rock-shrimp.jpg

Attachments

• Poso-rock-shrimp.jpg
    Poso-rock-shrimp.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 110
The images in your most recent post aren't working for me, Paulo.
They look beautiful shrimp though, I'd love to get my hands on some.
Also, pop on chat at some point, I could do with asking a couple o'questions.

The Poso Shrimp are Sooooo Nice. Have been Tempted by them a few times, as well as the Starry and Harlequins.
I like the Blue Leg Poso aswell, and they are not too expensive @ £3.99
Have you Seen the Rilli Shrimp Yet @ £9.99 each, Seen a Few on Ebay and Might get some depending on how they color up in a few weeks. They are not from Silane, but another Farm in Thailand.

Just checked with a Few MA Stores and they are going to try and get these in if they can, in the next few weeks.

Gill said:
Starry and Harlequins.
I would not bother with these, they are very difficult to keep, specially Harlequins, I have tried them in the past.

LondonDragon said:
Gill said:
Starry and Harlequins.
I would not bother with these, they are very difficult to keep, specially Harlequins, I have tried them in the past.

What aspects were difficult with these.
I remember when I had Matano and Cardinals that they did well untill the 1st molt. They did not survive it. I suspect I needed to Add some more Shrimp Food like Shirakawa Stones etc.

There is an indication that Cardinals needs some salt in the water (I have kept these alinve for about a year in the past), just the Harlequins are very sensitive and I haven't had any reports of anyone keeping them long term in the aquarium, let alone breed them!

LondonDragon said:
There is an indication that Cardinals needs some salt in the water (I have kept these alinve for about a year in the past), just the Harlequins are very sensitive and I haven't had any reports of anyone keeping them long term in the aquarium, let alone breed them!

Have you joined Shrimpnow.
Really great advise for shrimp keepers and alot of people have had success with Poso and Other Sulawesi species. I Need to read up on some of the breeding and tank setup over there.

Yep I have joined many years ago, Poso seems the easiest Sulwaresi to keep and breed, specially the ones I have and also the Blue Leg Poso. Others require more specific water parameters that are not always easy to maintain, specially in nanos where most people keep shrimp. I would say for Sulawesi to have at least a 60l tank.

Yeah, I agree with you there.
I am upgrading mine from the Pico to a Larger tank (87Ltr) over the weekend. Think I have Over done the Filtration though, 1300LPH for a 87 Ltr Tank. but wanted as much as possible and will add some buffers (coral rubble)to the Canister.

Shrimp tank don't really need a lot of filtration, although I had around 800lph on my 60l tank at one stage and that was fine, does help keeping mosses clean.

The only issues with Sulawesi is keeping PH levels between 8-8.2 also you will need higher temps of around 27-28C, also make sure you do not have another other shrimp species in the tank, although Sulawesi snails are recommended.

LondonDragon said:
Shrimp tank don't really need a lot of filtration, although I had around 800lph on my 60l tank at one stage and that was fine, does help keeping mosses clean.

The only issues with Sulawesi is keeping PH levels between 8-8.2 also you will need higher temps of around 27-28C, also make sure you do not have another other shrimp species in the tank, although Sulawesi snails are recommended.

Thanks for the Info.
When I get some Sulawesi they will be going in Kodama, so won't mix them. And will add Some Nerites and more Micro Crabs in with them.

Wish there was a Thank you button on here

You welcome :) Ensure the Nerites can handle the High PH levels, also I would not add the crabs, they will be fine with adult shrimp but if they breed I am not too sure if they will eat the shrimplets... I have never kept any but I would not risk it personally.

Blue Leg Poso:

GH 7, KH 3, pH 8.1, temp. 29°C and add to 15 liters of water half a teaspoon of SERA Mineral Salt.

Cardinal Shrimp:

GH 7, HN-3, pH 8.1, temp. 30°C and add to 15 liters of water half a teaspoon of SERA Mineral Salt to reach 608mS.

Red Poso Shrimp (the last photo of the ones I liked with the crazy eyes):

Water temperature must be around 27-30°C and it should be absolutely clear. To feed this shrimp just a little is the point to success in careing and breedning.

Info taken from breeders site.

LondonDragon said:
You welcome :) Ensure the Nerites can handle the High PH levels, also I would not add the crabs, they will be fine with adult shrimp but if they breed I am not too sure if they will eat the shrimplets... I have never kept any but I would not risk it personally.

Nah, Limnopilos naiyanetri are fine with Shrimp and Shrimplets. They don't take any notice of shrimplets.

Back