• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant cliff

Re: GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi

Cheers mate ;)

Yup we did not had yellow patches on our initial 2-3 trimmings, but since that time we always see this. Probably the reason is that we only trim it every 3 weeks now. This is usually enough time even for the yellow patches to look good, but on the other hand this adds up like 4-8cm new plant level on top of the carpet.

Maybe your carpet it not that extra dense yet where no light goes down to the lower level, but your frequent trimming helps a lot to avoid this anyway.
Even the trimmed carpet could be around 2/4cm height in this tank now. Too dense to trimm more. ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlant ... otostream/

Honestly it's like a stem now. I love to see the beauty leaves everywhere, but when you trim that down usually there are no or just minor leaves. So we try to keep it as long as we can and trim it only when there's really no more day to show a nicer form to our visitors.

Luckily with air conditioning we can keep this tank around 22/23 celsius even in these hot days. So the base of the carpet is still super strong and extra dense.

You know what, let's see how much time it need to go green again. Will have my camera and will capture it later, so we can see how fast rebuilding itself. ;)

That HC is mental - in a great way! :D

Have you considered something between the rocks and HC to soften the transition (E. tennelus, Blyxa etc.), or is the really minimal-look what you're after?

Can you remind us all about the specs, please? Lighting, ferts, CO2, filters etc.

Thanks for sharing, Viktor. Inspirational work, as always. :thumbup:

George Farmer said:
That HC is mental - in a great way! :D

Have you considered something between the rocks and HC to soften the transition (E. tennelus, Blyxa etc.), or is the really minimal-look what you're after?

Can you remind us all about the specs, please? Lighting, ferts, CO2, filters etc.

Thanks for sharing, Viktor. Inspirational work, as always. :thumbup:

Cheers George, thanks for your nice words :thumbup:
The plan was to do a minimal look which worked out well, but of course some additional plant would mix up the look a bit. When i trimmed yesterday i had a plan to keep the HC taller in the back and just have the super slim HC on the front. Was a great contrast really. Amazing what only one plant can do. HC almost looked like HM on the back. But i was worried if i keep the back that tall the HC will die for sure shortly. I will try to do an image on this sometime if the HC reach the same level again.

Tenellus, Blyxa etc would be great may will do that later this year, but the core problem is that the carpet is so strong and thick that pinsette would not work anymore. A pincher tool would be needed :D Will check with ADA if they have one for this reason. :angelic:

Tank Specs:

120x45x45 Opti White tank
6x54 Watt ATI light. We mainly using only 4 tubes from the 6 in 8 hours a day. Now 7 hours only.
2 x Eheim 2075 filter
Pressurized CO2 with Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor. CO2 start 3 hours before the light.
Substrate: Aqua Soil Amazonia, Amazonia Powder, Penac P, Penac W, Powersand Special
Soft water. Full RO without boosters. Water changes with full RO 1/3 weekly
Water temp: 21/23 Celsius. Water changes with colder RO around 17-20 Celsius
Ferts: ADA Brighty K, ADA Step 2 12/12 ml / day. Easy Carbo 10ml daily.

Oh and we gave a name to the tank because of the IAPLC: "Fly above the giant cliff" :D :thumbup:

Thanks for your feedback mate. :thumbup:

Re: GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant c

tank is looking great viktor, that HC sure is a monster for growth! I had the same on mine with the yellowing of the leaves lower down which is a pain when you trim.

With you using the penac W in the substrate are you using it in the water? Ive been wondering whether to use it on my nano?

stuworrall said:
tank is looking great viktor, that HC sure is a monster for growth! I had the same on mine with the yellowing of the leaves lower down which is a pain when you trim.

With you using the penac W in the substrate are you using it in the water? Ive been wondering whether to use it on my nano?

Cheers mate ;) We used the Penac W in the substrate only. If you have this it's worth to try however it's very hard to tell how much it adds to the successful tank. On this HC iwagumi we achieved the best HC :D But i see other things more significant in the success. If you have it, use it. Need only a very small ammount to the nano. 1 scoop as i remember?

Well i promised last time that i will capture the tank again once it fully grown in.
Last trimming happened 3 weeks ago. We had major yellow patches where the carpet was thick and does not looked good.

Here we go 3 weeks later ;)
Still super healthy, super strong, algae free. :angelic: :thumbup:

5864059256_d9dcbdae57_b.jpg

What a great carpet :thumbup:

great viktor.

would you mind telling us what tubes you use? :geek:

wow! thats stunning!

Thank you guys ;)

Mark Evans said:
great viktor.

would you mind telling us what tubes you use? :geek:

Sure, 4x54 Watts Osram 865 HO. We're using this tube on our T5 lights all the way.

Brilliant Victor! That scape wouldn't be out of place in an Aquajournal.

ianho said:
Brilliant Victor! That scape wouldn't be out of place in an Aquajournal.

thank you ;) but wait for the IAPLC shot. That's really AJ quality :D

Back