• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

OMG Invaders -ID - Drone Fly Larvae

Gill

OK, so this morning while checking on My Live Food Barrels.
I found this Squirming Mass of I Do Not Know, but they Look Alien.
Have Never Seen anything like these before and Have no Idea where they Came from. As the 1/2 Barrell they are In, Only Houses Mozzies and Leaves that fall from the Rose Bush + Passion Flower Above it.

Looking At them I describe them as:
White, With Caterpillar Like Mouths and Apendages.
Long Thin Tails that Reach the Surface of the Water (Breathing Organ????)
When Detached from the Swarm, they Move like Caterpillars in the Water.

HAVE NOT TOLD THE WIFE/RENTS, as she will Tip all the Barrells over in Disgust. So want to know what they are before they are NAPALMED :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTtiHkt ... er&list=UL

Re: OMG Invaders from Beyond the Void :sick:

Tom said:
Awww, cute. Can't tell you what it is though :/ Is it just one thing, or lots of little ones?

the main blob, is a heaving mass of them

As you have overhanging plants, is there a chance that they may not be aquatic? Tbh they look like maggots in the video, but I'm sure you'd know a maggot if you saw one. I guess you just have to wait and see what they turn into, presuming that they are the larva of something. Kind of exciting in a gross kind of way.

Found out what they are, Rat Tailed Maggots - Drone Fly Larvae

greenjar said:
Gill said:
Found out what they are, Rat Tailed Maggots - Drone Fly Larvae

Will you feed these to your fish?

Nope, I like Drone Flies so will let them hatch. No Longer to be Napalmed.

OMG Invaders from Beyond the Void :sick:

I used to get these all the time! They have large tails that reach the surface and allow them to take in air. Very cool and if I remember rightly the goldfish like em too.

Johno2090 said:
I used to get these all the time! They have large tails that reach the surface and allow them to take in air. Very cool and if I remember rightly the goldfish like em too.

Yeah they are cool to watch, Don't have any fish large enough to eat :(

Hi all,
Rat Tailed Maggots - Drone Fly Larvae
Definitely an Eristalis "Drone Fly" maggots, the adults are fantastic "Honey Bee" mimics. The larvae usually occur in very organically polluted water, but I often get E.pertinax <http://www.uknature.co.uk/E.pertinax-info.html> in the, relatively clean, buckets under the Roses on the S. side of the house, where there are a lot of Drone flies basking and visiting the Clematis cirrhosa flowers. I've fed them to the Apistogrammas and they ate them very readily.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the info Darrel. The 1/2 I found them in Has a huge Amounts of Leaf Litter from the Roses and Passion Flowers.

sanj said:
I have just had lunch... :sick:

Lol, then I should not post pix of the Slugs I have to fish out of one of the barrels, I found them this morning. Drowned and bloated.

Hey- how is the Move Going

Back