• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying plants - can they be rescued?

How long has it been there? Was there any filtration. Easy Carbo overdose is possible but you probably need to put 10-15ml to kill it.
They can recover, yes.

I guess you need more of a flow/circulation, some kinda water movement. In general the boundary between plant leaves and water is static (i.e. no water movement). The frictional effects and boundary layer issues between the two mediums always end up like this. (Ever wondered why there is too much dust accumulated on the blades of a table/ceiling fan, even though the fan is rotating at Jet speeds??)

Since the nutrient and water exchange occurs only via this boundary, without any flow in the tank, a sloppy/slimy stuff starts appearing. Nutrients cant be exchanged, the pores get choked up, osmotic issues lead to wrong way water movement from the plant to the tank making plant de-hydrate, This also increases the bacterial/algal activity that thrieves on the nutrient buildup outside the leaf. Leaf gets less of O2 and also CO2... All this leading to what you have been seeing in your tank.

Simply clean up the mess and put a small water moving element. If the tanks a really tiny nano, a small DIY rubber stirrer strong enough to do this would do the trick (something like a mini hand-held USB fan type???).

cheers
niru

Hey skeleton,

Let me get this right, you added aqua soil + plants with EC and ferts and no filtration? How many water changes did you do after setting up?

For the first few weeks Aqua soil leaches ammonia into the water so you'll need to do regular water changes to stop algae and other nasties.

I guess flow/circulation is more of a problem than water filtration... But as Bob says, it could also be Aqua Soil related ammonia.. However, you dont mention ammonia related algae etc.. its more of sloppy plants holding their life to a thread scenario. So more than algal issues, the plants arent getting nourishment and are dehydrating, anemic, weak and suffering. Soon algae will takeover..

-niru

My crypts and swords did really badly for a while and I thought they were gonners. After a dramatic change in their environmen and a few weeks som eof them are doing really well. Certainly the crypts are. I lost about half the swords though.

Well if you performed daily changes filtration shouldnt be an issue. Must be something else i guess. Might be EC.

Back