• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plastic Fantastic

Gill

So I got Back from Picking Up the Tank a few hours ago.
It is a Custom Build From Rosedale Aquatics.
The tank is 24” in length, 18” high and 12” wide - Giving me about 20G.
Came With Everything I need, as well as 15Kilos of Pea Gravel (Perfect for Shrimp).

The Best Bit Is the Wife Actually Likes :eek: :wideyed: :D , It and Wants it set up in the Hall Downstairs, so that TJ can Look at it at his pleasure.

Just Going to Set it Up and Clone the Filter From Little Cave.

Tank Came with A UGF System that I Really Like. So Going to Keep that, as the tank is for Shrimp and Guppies/Endlers.
Might add an External Later. Also Came with some Nice Resin Rocky Formations, that I like and Will Keep as Shrimp Will Love clambering around on it.

Will Post Setup Pix in a Bit Once setup.

Re: Tj's Shrimpalooza

My Little Boy thought We had got him a Downstairs Bath. He kept wanting to have a Bath In it. I suppose he will get used to it in a few days time. :)

Tank is all Set up and the UGF is running, Chucked a load of Gunk from the filter Pads and added the water from Little Cave. As well as some aged dechlorinated Water. Big scoop of Daphnia and Mozzies for the Fish to Hunt Down.

Pix tommorrow Evening after we get back from the Godiva Festival :)

Gill said:

I want to try to make it over there tomorrow also. Should be a good day out for the little ones :)

greenjar said:
Gill said:

I want to try to make it over there tomorrow also. Should be a good day out for the little ones :)

Yeah, Will be good. I was working on the Costco Stand last year. And got 1/2 hour to walk round. This year will be good, as loads of free stuff for the kids.

Just about to leave, as want to go round before it gets busy and toooo hot.

Remember that You don't need to pay for bottled water - costco give it away - well we were last year.

A friend of mine was telling me that for hard water areas like coventry. That Red Ramshorns are a Must, as they absord alot from the water into their shells. he said this makes the water very soft and great for Moss. Well i have to agree as the tanks he has ramshorns in Have Lush Mounds of Java Moss and Xmas Moss.

All Good So far.
Interestingly the Micro Crabs No Longer hide during the Day. They are always out scuttling around on the Gravel.

Think I will Go for a Big Carpet Of Hair Grass in this, Just need to get some from the World Of Water. As Like the quality of it in the past from there. Plus alot cheaper to buy from the Marginal Pond Plant Section.

Wifey wants Me to move the Livebearers from Outdoors into this, as all the Endlers/guppies are still juvies so looks a bit empty. :lol:

Gill said:
My Little Boy thought We had got him a Downstairs Bath. He kept wanting to have a Bath In it.

That is very cute!

a1Matt said:
Gill said:
My Little Boy thought We had got him a Downstairs Bath. He kept wanting to have a Bath In it.

That is very cute!

I know, He has settled down a little. Now he goes up to it and starts pointing at the fish and saying Gish. Almost got it right :lol:
Did a Bit more scaping to it yesterday evening.
Scaped Left side with Large Cobbles with Anubias Glued on. And then Little Lava Rock Pebbles with Java Moss attached. Added the polished River stones to it. Might get some more of them from the Pound Shop in different colors. I Like the Black ones with White veins in them. Added More Ivy Leaf Duckweed to it from outdoors. I like this Kind of Duckweed alot. Linked together to for Form Matts on the Surface. And looks different to the everyday Floating Plants.

Riccia Arrived today, and is Amazing Quality (thanks Andyh). Will Be attaching it to Pebbles to be scattered about the tank.

Got some more Pebbles this morning, and Tied Riccia on to them. Water change and then will take some pix.

Excuse the Reflections - Tank is next to the Front Door so Very Bright.
Have some Vallis on Order, so will make that into a backdrop when planted.
Still Deciding what Color background to have, Don't want Black, so might go for Blue or Gradient.
TJShrimpalooza001.jpg

TJShrimpalooza013.jpg

TJShrimpalooza012.jpg

TJShrimpalooza011.jpg

TJShrimpalooza010.jpg

TJShrimpalooza009.jpg

TJShrimpalooza008.jpg

Crappy Pic of the Ivy Leaf Duckweed.
TJShrimpalooza014.jpg

Took out the UGF this evening and plumbed in the 8l External Canister.
The Canister just about fit inside the cupboard :lol:

Have added a load of Vallis to the background to hide the heater and intake.
All the Pebbles on the left side that get direct sunlight are going Nice and Green :p just how i want them.
Riccia is doing well and getting bushy.

I have not forgotten about making a shrimp safe inlet strainer - just have not got around to doing it.

flygja said:
The roots of that floating plant almost looks like hair algae to me. Scared me for a moment. :lol:

Lol Yeah they do a bit.

I have removed all of the Ivy Leaf Duckweed and replaced it with Hydrocotyle Ranunculoides. Did not like the way in which the Ivy Leaf tumbled around in the water all the time. It has gone outdoors into the mozzie bucket.

Also suddenly lost 95% of the Peacock gobies last night. Do not know why, just woke to find most of them on the inlet pre-filter.

Tank Has Settled down, Dunno what caused the Gobies to die suddenly. Tank looked ok and the water smelled fine.

The Male Featherfin/Swallow Have mostly developed the Extended rays on their finnage and have colored up nicely. Females look like they will drop soon.

Won 6kg of Fluval Stratum for a tenner, but not sure if i will use it in this.

Gill said:
Riccia Arrived today, and is Amazing Quality (thanks Andyh). Will Be attaching it to Pebbles to be scattered about the tank.

no worries :thumbup:

Have got a Hair Algae Issue ATM, but not worried. Have just been pulling it out and Increased the flow in the Tank.
Livebearers have Started to Drop, just waiting on the Dwarf Platties to Start dropping fry.

A little Cheesy but added an LED Air Curtain to the tank for the little one, he loves sitting in front of the tank in the evening and watching the colored bubbles.

Will Take some Pix tonight, as during the day too much reflection.

One thing that has happened in this tank, that I did not even think about. The IAL once eaten is beautiful, Like a Very Delicate Lace. I am going to leave them in there as it looks very interesting.

Hydrocoytle is not working out, so will remove it and put it in the garden. Racking my brains over something interesting to have for the floating plant, that I have not used before. Bored of Duckweeds, Ivy, Salvinia, Frogbit etc.

About 4 years ago I did get a Sprig of a Floating Fern, but can't remember the name. The fronds closed up if touched and it did look nice.

Back