• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 23-06-11)

andyh said:
Gill said:
andyh said:
Titanium Rams? o_O They are good thanks.

It is another Name for that Color Morph

Well i never knew that ! o_O

yeah alot of the Malaysian Breeders like (RainyBetta on AB) to use that Name to describe the color, It is used more for Flower Horn Morphs though than Regular Cichlid Morphs

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 23-06-11)

Tank Overview so far.
The tank is just over a year old now, and is looking the healthiest i have had it, i have no algae problems, and very healthy plant growth! So a bit like Tom on his journal i thought i would highlight what i am doing. :geek:

So initially i went down the EI route and had some success but it never really came as good as i wanted and didn't suit me personally. So ended up using the TPN stuff as it seemed very popular. Not regretted it in the slightest, this in conjunction with the ADA substrate System works very well indeed.

Equipment Spec:

180l tank
Lights 4 x39w T5 (7hrs day)
1 x Eheim 2075
1 x Eheim 2324 thermo filter used as CO2 Reactor (CO2 on 3 hrs before and finishes an hour b4 the lights go off)
1 x Hydor Nano to help with flow at the back

Routine:

Daily
Dosing 3 squirts (3ml) of Easy life Kalium (Potassium)
Pruning and removing dead/damaged leaves

Weekly
50% water change
Dosing weekly dose of TPN or TPN+ alternate weeks (20ml per week)
Dosing Easylife Algexit (18ml)
Dosing Easy life Ferro (18ml)
Clean glass

Monthly to 8 weekly
Clean Both external Filter and replace white floss
Clean Glassware
Running cleaning brush through UP atomizer to maintain CO2 bubble rate.

Comments:

Easylife Algexit - TGM introduced me to this product and i have to admit i was sceptical. I have always had thread algae and fuzz algae in my tanks. I started dosing this weekly and after about 10 days no sign of it whatsoever. So kept it going!

BGA (Blue Green Alage) - i got rid of this by removing as much as i could and the surrounding gravel and performing several water changes over a couple of weeks. Also keeping the the flow good so detritus cant build up is important. I typically found it in dirty low flow areas.

BBA - Early on experienced this, buy keeping to my regime and directly dosing with Easycarbo and removing the worst effected items i seem to have it beat.

EI - never really worked as well for me and that could be down to my mixing skills, but never really saw the results.

You can have too much flow, i went to far and have reduced it back down to a much more sensible level.

Water changes are king! Do them ever week if not more.

I hope this is useful to some of you o_O :geek:

Thanks for looking :wave:

Andyh

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 06-07-11)

Hi Andy.
Very informative update. :thumbup:

Good to hear your tank has matured, and stabilised.
It often takes time to create the perfect balance, and find what works best for you.

Incidentally following your nagging ( oops suggestion ) i got some Algiexit, and after 3 weeks all my thread algae went as well. As you know i stopped using Easycarbo last year.

Will try and call in and see your set up shortly, so keep on top of your Maintenance, :wave:

glad to see your tank is coming on well andy and it looks really good :)

Re your dosing im glad TPN is working out for you but I seem to have had the opposite in my tank!

I used to dose 15ml per day of TPN+ then TPN the next day alternating between the two so Im really surprised your doing 20ml per week! Having said that your also dosing the ferro and the Kalium (Potassium) which I didnt as do as I asnt aware that TPN every lacked anything ferts wise so have y ou got any info on why the extras go in? Really glad your new dosing regime is working though and thanks for the tips on the Algexit :)

Re the EI, previously I could never be arsed with it as it looked like too much hassle but about a month back i decided to try out he fluidsensor EI regime. At the moment im putting in 90ml (eek) per day for 5 days then two of rest and its really working very well in my 90cm! Before this I had alage problems with some fuzz algae in parts of the fissidens and BBA on the rocks. Since going EI its all gone and ive also stopped using easycarbo which is an added bonus. now I really should update my journal with this and some pics :)

onward and upward andy :)

bogwood said:
Hi Andy.
Very informative update. :thumbup:
Good to hear your tank has matured, and stabilised.
It often takes time to create the perfect balance, and find what works best for you.
Incidentally following your nagging ( oops suggestion ) i got some Algiexit, and after 3 weeks all my thread algae went as well. As you know i stopped using Easycarbo last year.
Will try and call in and see your set up shortly, so keep on top of your Maintenance, :wave:

Cheers, how are those cuttings doing?

mikeappleby said:
Really useful overview.
:thumbup:

glad to see your tank is coming on well andy and it looks really good :)

Re your dosing im glad TPN is working out for you but I seem to have had the opposite in my tank!

Thanks Stu

I used to dose 15ml per day of TPN+ then TPN the next day alternating between the two so Im really surprised your doing 20ml per week! Having said that your also dosing the ferro and the Kalium (Potassium) which I didnt as do as I asnt aware that TPN every lacked anything ferts wise so have y ou got any info on why the extras go in? Really glad your new dosing regime is working though and thanks for the tips on the Algexit :)

I tired dosing daily circa 15ml per day and had nothing but algae problems. (TPN & TPN+alternate days). I reduced the dose in the end but never seemed to be able to find the balance. The weekly dosing is working well for me so i am happy not to change it.

I am dosing K daily as it defo increased my plant growth overnight, and it was always succesful in my ADA dosing regime.

As for the Iron, it helps make make my Tennelus and Blyxa nice and red.

Re the EI, previously I could never be arsed with it as it looked like too much hassle but about a month back i decided to try out he fluidsensor EI regime. At the moment im putting in 90ml (eek) per day for 5 days then two of rest and its really working very well in my 90cm! Before this I had alage problems with some fuzz algae in parts of the fissidens and BBA on the rocks. Since going EI its all gone and ive also stopped using easycarbo which is an added bonus. now I really should update my journal with this and some pics :)

I think EI has its place, but for me i love the ease of the Tropica system.

What i love about planted tanks is the fact there are so many different ways to have a succesful tank :crazy:

Been away for a week and left my tank to its own devices.

In preparation I had completed a 50% water change and dosed a weeks worth of Ferts in one go. I ran only 2 of the four Tubes. I had also made sure my fish had been well fed the week before (frozen and flake foods) and that was it.

Came back and everything was hunky dory, in fact everything looked uber healthy!

so just a quick pic taken with a point and shoot.

6043462300_a8dca86edf_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Andyh

p.s just noticed that this journal has over 10,000 views! can't believe it :D

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 14-08-11)

Looks fantastic Andy, I love this sort of scape, 'tis right up my street, it's grown in really nicely
I'd love to have something like this in my lounge :)

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 14-08-11)

still looking great mate!

love the camouflaged lily pipes!

Re: Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 06-09-11)

Firstly thanks for all the comments!

Not the sarcasm about me dirty pipes though!!! :lol: :oops:

They are due a clean, but had more important stuff to do!

Anyway on to the scape.........Well in a moment of madness i decided that the plant mass was far to large so i ripped out all the background plants. So all the Vallis, Crypt Ball, and the blyxa is no more, all of which i has gone to UKAPS members :thumbup:

I have decided to go for a far more easy to manage/cleaner look....

Once the dust has settled and few new plants have arrived from TGM i will post some pics

Cheers

Andyh

look forward to it Andy, i love moments of madness, it always makes us feel better!

Love the dynamism and feeling of movement in this tank. Particularly like the full scale blyxa 'bush'. Nice work mate

ianho said:
look forward to it Andy, i love moments of madness, it always makes us feel better!

Yes my problem is i have them regularly!

NeilW said:
Love the dynamism and feeling of movement in this tank. Particularly like the full scale blyxa 'bush'. Nice work mate

Cheers Neil, my tanks always end up evolving this wasn't the planned journey, but it turned into something i really liked.

Anyway managed to find time to plant the new plants from TGM over the weekend, some pics to follow this week. :geek:

Cheers

Andyh

i think ive nearly read all 34 pages of post , and my god that tank has never looked anything less than show worthy , i would love for my tank to look like this , just dont know if i would have been able to come with the brightness of the ada pendant ,because that was super bright haha , i love the orange fish that you have aswell (sorry forgot the name) and where abouts did you get them i have never seen them befre , are then malawi cichlids that are in a community tank ???

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 06-09-11)

Great journal, it has been a long read but I feel I've learnt so much :) thanks for taking the time with your journal and your tank is amazing.

Tom

Back