• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jungle tank- first journey into plants

dawidmNS

Hi

Finally, it is a right time for me to start my journal after a long way through problems such as co2, light, flow, alga, ferts. I decided to star this journal because I want to learn and improve my tank, and I know that with your help I will do it ;)

Little be about my tank:

Tank: Rio180 100cmx50cmx40
Lighting: 2x 39W
Filters: 1x Eheim 2217, 1x Tetratec ex1200
Heather at about 26 degree
CO2: BL Proflora u402 C02 kit with 2kg FE
Substrate: 20l of Akadama, 1l of (sphangum moss?)

Ferts: EI method +5ml easycarbo daily (50%water change weekly)

Plants:
Amazon swords
Crypt wendetii
Crypt aponogetifolia
Anubias
Blyxa japonica
Glosso
Hair grass
Tiger lotus
Vallisneria gigantea
Hydrocotyle
Java fern
Java fern needle leaf
Taiwan moss

I think thats all ?

Fish:
Rummynoses
SAE
Amino shrimps

1st day:

I thought everything will be ok, I was reading a lot, collecting all equipment to make sure I will have good start. Unfortunately, 1 day light was switch on whole night, and problems with algae started. I thought ok. I will try to solve it and with ukaps members help I increased my flow by adding 1 more filter, I bought atomizer for better co2 dissolving, I extended spraybars and placed them at the back. I changed the proportion of fers as probably I was adding too much micros. Unfortunately algae grow stopped just a little and horror with cyhano started. I was near to give up and come back to cichlids. But I was always giving up and this time I decided to make it, I did 4 days blackout, all algae disappeared.

From that time these are the pictured of my tank 2 weeks after problems with algae when slowly everything is getting better and better. I have to add that I bought 6 angel fish which was quite a bad choice. They were eating or trying to eat my hair grass and glosso, and while trying do it they were taking the plants out of substrate, so the plants hadn’t got much chance to grow, but you can see especially on the right side that hair grass is getting better.

I know there is still a long way, a lot to learn, but by your comments and suggestions I will make it, so all comments are welcome ;)

Regards
Dawid

It looks completely different now to when you had all those problems mate and those echinodorous have taken off. They'll get bigger and bigger ha ha. Your pictures are quite small on here though, when you copy the image location make sure your viewing the image full size on image shack. It's looking great so far, just needs that front to fill in more

Hi guys

Thank you for all your comments, foreground is getting better and better each day, I order today 2 pots of hairgrass as it will take ages to cover the middle of the tank. Amazon swords are getting bigger quite quickly. some of their leaves which are floating now are touching front of the glass, but I will leave it as it looks good for me ;)

Alastair, are you on computer or iphone? Because on my laptop once you clicked on the picture it will get bigger. I will check on my iphone how it works, but should be fine.

Today I added few more rummynoses, now there is about 15 of them, it his week or maybe next week I will ad 10-20 more as these fish looks amazing once swimming in shoal. Not sure if should I add cardinal or neons?

Regards
Dawid

Belting healthy tank, how long was in between those pictures?

There is about 56 days difference but tank without the algea and normal plants growth for 2 weeks.
Also i added java fern, anubias and removed few rocks.

Regards
Dawid

Ps Alastair on my iphone the pictures are big same like on laptop

Jesus Christ man whats your secret? :)

Back