• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is this FE ok to use it's black (pictures Inc)

tovtm

Hi I have been doing alot of reading up on the FE setup. ive just been given this 5kg Chubb FE for free from a friend but it's black and only says carbon dioxide on rather that co2. I believe this is the old type cylinders but is this still ok to use?

d3770a70.jpg

if this is the old cylinders will the new standard regs fit?

ok Clive will do away at the moment so will do as soon as I can. read a few snip bits that black cylinders are old versions and to stay clear but that was only about two people I found to have said this.

Well, you see I'm not really sure about old versus new. The only thing that counts is if the cylinder valve itself is the UK industrial standard DIN 477 and if your regulator is of this standard. As far as what's inside the bottle, it should be liquid CO2, 5Kg worth. I cannot say if there are additives or other materials inside but I very much doubt it.

Cheers,

I've used some of the black FE's in the past. They're the same fittings as the newer ones so you shouldn't have any problems there. However you won't be able to get the black ones refilled.

ohh didn't know that voo. I assume because it's the old type they won't touch it, would they swap it for a refilled one rather than actually refilling this one do you know?

it's not too much of a problem because in theory 5kg should last me ages if it's full.

nice picture for Clive :) here is a picture of the top
be9b521e.jpg

Yeah mate, this is exactly the same hex head nut as shown in Sam's FE tutorial Fire extinguisher CO2

The black handles operate the cylinder valce. As shown in that photo, the valve is closed. So just remove the nut, which will also remove the nozzle and extension, and there should be a DIN 477 threaded fitting ready to accept the large nut on your regulator, assuming the regulator is also DIN 477 standard. After the regulator is connected then the valve has to be opened and kept opened. On regular cylinders this is a rotary valve which you would just turn all the way to the left, but on this cylinder you have to keep the handles pressed together. In the tutorial Sam suggests duct tape wrapped around the handles, but you can also use nylon tie wraps.

Cheers,

thanks Clive. being so old (95) is stamped on cylinder. safety wise it should still be ok to use I know industry FE have to be pressure tested and safety checked every (I think) 5 years

Yes, the fact of it's being from 1995 is not the problem so much as to under what environmental conditions the metal has been exposed. If there is significant corrosion of the metal such that the corrosion weakens the structure then there is a risk of structural failure. You can clean up the exterior to see if there is any rust peeking through the paint. That will give a good indication of the condition. I'm sure this is why you might not be able to get them refilled, because the re-filler can't be sure, for example that there was no moisture intrusion into the bottle and that rust has not started from the inside of the bottle working it's way out. If the bottle has never been refilled then it is unlikely that there is moisture or sufficient oxygen inside to start the rust, but the re-filler can't know that, so it's a safer blanket policy for them to avoid these old bottles.

Cheers,

Hi all

I'm afraid the black versus red is an EU thing.............again :(
As far back as 1985 the EU made a ruling that all new fire extinguishers (in the EU), were going to have to be red, but UK got the hump with that, so they made a concession that we could have a small part coloured with the old BS colours (eg black for CO2, cream for foam etc.). So now you will find a small square of the old BS colour on extinguishers sold in the UK.
However, they did add that all the old black ones did not have to be replaced, but if they were used, they had to be replaced by the red ones. When they finally reached their 10 yearly pressure test, no company would commit to testing a black one, and sold you a red one instead.
I work in an environment with lots of pressurised vessels and some of these are 30 years old, but obviously subject to regular pressure testing (usually at double their working pressure).
So the UK has rolled over yet again and stumped up for something it didn't need to.
As previously stated, the condition of the cylinder is important.
I have used plenty of black one's, the only down side is you have to chuck them away when you're done because you definitely will not get them refilled in the UK :( .

Back