• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different approach - Algae improvement with low light

Re: A different approach - 1.5 weeks - flow?

Careful with drainpipe, I used it with a 36w pc and it melted, the fumes were enough to half choke me too.

Tom said:
Here's a quick pic so far - Ignore the paint runs on the end, It's the first coat and will be sanded back down on that bit!

IMG_3360.jpg

Genius!!

Thanks for the warning Garuf - It'll only be an 18w, with a reflector on top. I wonder if an inside lining of ultra high temp paint might help?

Cheers Collins! Just been on the wet n dry smoothing it off, and will give it another coat in a bit.

Tom

Nah, it'd make no difference, those paints are meant to not flake at high temperatures, not to create a heat resistant barrier.
Just keep an eye on it I suppose. You can get stainless steel guttering but it's an arm and a leg.

Re: A different approach - DIY ADA Light done :D

Very nice tom! Looks like the real deal.

Start a shop on eBay & I'll have one! Or I may just try & get creative & give it a go myself. I like the idea of stainless steel guttering surely it can't be that expensive?

I'm a skint thrift...

Very nice indeed Tom, best of luck with the heat, the lagging's a good idea.

A different approach - DIY ADA Light done :D

Nice work! I think you should create a DIY guide ;)

Very nice DIY. The finish looks spot-on for an ADA metallic gray product.

Tom ,...can you give us some details on the DIY please? Some more pics on how it's done?
It looks awesome. :thumbup:

faizal said:
Tom ,...can you give us some details on the DIY please? Some more pics on how it's done?
It looks awesome. :thumbup:

I second this, lets have a DIY light Journal :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's really simple, but takes a bit of patience spraying. I haven't got any pictures though I'm afraid :/

- Cut some half-round drainpipe to length
- Round off edges with file or sandpaper. Don't use too course a paper, as it takes ages to remove scratches!
- Rub over whole thing with a fine grit paper to allow the paint to stick.
- Measure (draw round end of pipe!) out a piece of acrylic (or other plastic) for the end piece, and cut out.
- Repeat sanding process
- Glue in place
- Spray several light coats of undercoat, each time using a fine grit paper (I used 8000) to rub it down slightly.
- Repeat with Colour spray (metallic grey). I didn't smooth off the final coat.
- Spray lacquer. I haven't smoothed this off either as I'll let it harden properly for a few days first.

Tom

Thanks Luis. Yes it would be interesting to try it with LEDs. Might be worth a trip to Maplins!

Thanks for the tips on moving the inlet too guys, I can see the improvement already :) I've just been removing the meltyness from the base of the Undulata and "Tropica", and uncovered a whole load of tiny new leaves :D I think the majority of the meltyness might actually just be rockwool that I wasn't so careful about removing. Anyway, it's out now, and I'm happy about the leaves. Even the Parva has a new leaf or two :D

The only trouble I have is that the Undulata isn't sitting in the substrate very well. It feels pretty buoyant, and I'm worried I'll uproot it and throw the tank into a brown cloud! Might get some more Africana and raise the level at the back carefully to cover the base of the plant. Anyone got a couple of spare liters of it?

Tom

Top notch DIY job Tom :thumbup: , I've been making DIY lighting for a while myself.
Is there any way you could run the power cable for the lamp through the supporting tube ?

p.s The scape looks stunning too.

Cheers,
James

Back