• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sandstone in an aquarium

Derek Tweedie

Has anyone had any experience using sandstone in an aquarium? I have a few kg lying around and wondering if its suitable for a planted tank. I know that it will alter my ph and also my hardness so is there any plants that I should avoid?

Any advice would be great.

It'll most likely melt away. Search the forum there was a post about it about a month ago.

Hi all,
It depends how hard it is. If it is really solid and difficult to scratch or break, it should be fine. If it is local to Edinburgh I don't think you will have any problem with it. If it is hard it won't effect your pH or hardness.

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrel I was out for a walk past a building site and it had been dug up by the digger so I nabbed it. I have it soaking in a bucket just now, going to boil it before I put it in the tank though.

Geologically, Sandstone terms came from grain size. So sandstone can be various in chemical contents. If the grain derived from calcareous source, it will raise your water hardness. So test it with acid chloride, dont use if it fizzing

Back