• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My emersed setup - Tesco Jar 19/9

Tom

This is what I've been trying out recently. Nothing special, no scape as such, but an attempt at growing several species emersed. I've now got HC, D. diandra, Crypt willisii, Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, Staurogyne and Hairgrass. I have been surprised at the D. diandra. It doesn't seem to want to grow more than 2-3" emersed. Is that normal?

The substrate is just compost. It's watered every few days, just to keep it moist. The lid isn't a tight fit, so it's not sealed.

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

Tom

Re: My emersed setup

Hi all,
I really like this, it is so good I'd be very reluctant to add any water. I'll have a think whether I've got a small flowering plant that would look good in there. There must be a small bromeliad, orchid, aroid or insectivorous plant that would be suitable (Pinguicula moranensis?).

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the comments, wasn't expecting that :D

Bobtastic said:
Do you just keep the substrate moist? No water above it?

The substrate is kept wet, but no standing water above the surface. I found it gets BGA if it's too wet.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I really like this, it is so good I'd be very reluctant to add any water. I'll have a think whether I've got a small flowering plant that would look good in there. There must be a small bromeliad, orchid, aroid or insectivorous plant that would be suitable (Pinguicula moranensis?).

cheers Darrel

I won't be filling this with water if that's what you mean. As the substrate is literally just compost I'm not sure how it would fare underwater. I've found it works well for just growing plants this way though.

If the Pinguicula is one of these http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/images/pinguicula/FraserBeaut.jpg, they look pretty good :)

What I'd quite like to do is have some shallower setups/cubes with clear or no silicone, and a specimen plant in each. Then the rest could be HC or similar. I think that would look good :) I'd like to try Crypts properly, but they're so slow growing. Maybe some Echinodorus would be nice, kept small. Ohhhh, I'm gonna have to spend money now!! Might have to get another P@H cube when they're back in stock again after the packaging changeover.

Tom

Thanks - it's more a case of impulse buying various Tropica plants from work when they turn up, and then thinking "umm, now what??!"

If I see a plant I like, I just buy it - it's like a disease!! At least they'll be getting cheaper soon, and I'll be getting my discount :D

Tom said:
Thanks for the comments, wasn't expecting that :D

Bobtastic said:
Do you just keep the substrate moist? No water above it?

The substrate is kept wet, but no standing water above the surface. I found it gets BGA if it's too wet.

Yeah, I'm finding some lovely algae in mine... I'll keep the water lower from now on.

Loving the flowers! :thumbup:

Re: My emersed setup - flowers

Awesome Tom. Maybe worth replacing the lid with clingfilm and slowly increase the opening over the space of a month to 'break in' the plants. This will mean you won't get the annoying condensation. It worked for my IKEA kilner jar but that has a smaller opening so it would be interesting if you can do the same with your cube.

Back