• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for 90 litre

Greenview

I am planning to set up a second tank and considering my options. I have a spare 2 foot (90 litre) tank with a 15W T8 bulb. My original plan was to go low tech, but I have taken a fancy to some Blyxa Sp. which require more light. If I use liquid carbon (no press CO2 in this tank) and good doses of ferts, what lighting would you suggest that I use. I do not want to blast the tank with too much, and am not concerned about fast growth, but do want to sustain the plant.
Thanks

Will 2x 15w T8 bulbs be too little? Obviously this is the cheaper option.

Anyone?

I can go for a dual T5 unit, but that will cost quite a bit more than a second T8 unit, and give less margin for error with algae in a low tech. I know lots of stuff does grow under two T8s, but specifically do you think Blyxa will grow with liquid carbon and two 15w T8s (with reflectors) in a 50cm deep 60 cm long tank?

Thanks, really should set up a journal with this one.......

I do suggest you use the led grow light. Led grow light has the different size and different supply power. For your first tank and second tank, you can all use one pcs led grow light. But for choosing the kind, it has many details you should take care of.
Greenview said:
I am planning to set up a second tank and considering my options. I have a spare 2 foot (90 litre) tank with a 15W T8 bulb. My original plan was to go low tech, but I have taken a fancy to some Blyxa Sp. which require more light. If I use liquid carbon (no press CO2 in this tank) and good doses of ferts, what lighting would you suggest that I use. I do not want to blast the tank with too much, and am not concerned about fast growth, but do want to sustain the plant.
Thanks

Thanks for the input. As I have a couple of separate T8 units spare will try with 2xT8 lights initially. At least this way I I can keep things low tech with (hopefully) less demand for carbon and ferts. If this fails after a month or so I will add a third T8 unit and increase the ferts and carbon accordingly.

Good question Helen 123. It does look like I am ignoring good advice after having asked for it, I suppose.

Since posting I have realised that I have some spare T8 controllers/bulbs to add to the one already in the hood of the tank. So the reason for using them is simple, cost. All the other options will cost a lot more money. I posted what I am planning in case someone tells me that I am mad for trying it. I must confess, I am also concerned about blasting a low tech tank with twin t5s (though I know that was not your suggestion).

Back