• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Here is a Strange one for you Guys

Gill

Ok, so I was talking with the Wife earlier. And she was asking what is in Fish Food.
Of course I tell her that the fish food contains fish and shrimp and other stuff as well as proteins, fats etc.
She throws a wobbly. (Reasons behind this make more sense if you are Indian, because the tank is situated Below the "Puja" Area in the House). The Tank is out of the way here and the space is just right for it.
So She Demands I stop feeding the fish with this food and any other foods with Fish and meat derivatives in it. She has not said anything about the Daphnia and Mozzies though.
No I always keep a Supply of Spirulina Tablets/Powder/Pellets, so I have fed them with that today.

Are there any Brands of Fish Food that are totally Veggie, but give them all they need.

Sorry mate, fish need proteins some more some less, they do not give a f...k about religion... So feed live daphnia or worms time to time if she that's ok and get hikari algae wafflers

Guppies, Endlers, Mollies, Platties, Heterandria Formosa, Peacock Gobies, Shrimp and Micro crabs

OK, most of those I would imagine (maybe minus the crabs) would be fine on an insect-based diet (maybe frozen/freezedried), as they probably wouldn't get fish protein in their natural habitat. The crabs I'm not so sure on.

There are other forms of protein other than meat, however I don't know whether fish utilise it well. I know cats for example have to have meat protein as opposed to plant protein, as they can't digest the latter.

How about Spirulina alongside freezedried/frozen foods such as bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc? I don't know the science/nutrition behind that, but would it work?

EDIT: just looked at my Spirulina flakes, and they contain fish solubles.

Thanks, My Mum said just tell her you have changed over to a veggie based food(A little White Lie).
She understands that Fish Need fish in their Diet.
And she Always Fed our Cat who lived to 25years Meaty Catfood. She just said a prayer, to say that I know I should not, but It needs meat.

So the Issue has been resolved. Stay with Hikari Micro Pellets which I have been using for the last 6 Years as the main Diet for my Fish/Shrimp.

Back