• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish for high flow?

Tom

I've added some Cherry Barbs to my Mini M, but so far they don't seem to keen on the whirlpool effect and are hiding in the Crypts all the time (or under the inlet).

Can anyone recommend some small fish that would appreciate this much flow, with the exception of danios and minnows? How would Microrasboras be?

Tom

Pseudomugil gertrudae might be a good choice. Mine love to hang out near the outlet in the high flow.
Hatchets are another good choice, unfortunately not for open top aquariums.

Mike

Thanks both,
Mike those Pseudomugil look great, I hadn't thought about them. Not sure whether they will suit my scape at the moment, but one to think about.

George, good to know about the Micros - My only worry with those is in the past, my brigittae were a bit jumpy :/ I might have to make some sort of glass lid for the Mini M.

Tom, had the same problem myself recently. Also had the issue of wanting to keep the temperature low for shrimp. My brigittae were really struggling so pulled them out.

Tried vietnamese cardinal minnows but were a bit too big. Sudandanio axelrodi, though a blackwater fish, seem to quite like the flow. Unfortunately they are rather sensitive in other ways and I lost my entire shoal. Very beautiful fish though if you can find them and get them into a stable tank.

Currently have ember tetras which are doing very well. Have heard CPDs like flow too.

Back