• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Logi-cat's Shrimp Tank (RCS + CRS + Amano)

logi-cat

Hi everyone. After having a planted tank i wanted something more low maintenance, so i decide to strip my tank down and just keep shrimps. I got rid of the JBL Manado substrate i was using before and went with a bare bottom tank (much easier to clean).

The equipment i am using are as follows: 60 Litres Tank, Hydor ETH External Heater 200W, Eheim Classic 2213 & Arcadia 15W Tropical Lamp.

The plants i chose had to be something easy to grow and not demanding, so i went with Java Moss, Taiwan Moss, Weeping Moss, Xmas moss and Needle Leaf Java Fern.

The residents consist of 2 x Celestial Pearl Danios (from my previous tank), 1 x Amano Shrimp, 9 x Red Cherry shrimp & 9 x Crystal Red Shrimp.

Heres a few photos of my tank, let me know what you think, what i should improve?

ftsw.jpg

[
lssq.jpg

rssi.jpg

I went for low tech myself too. Had swords of different variety, moss and bolbitis in it. Substrate of amazonia and tap water (Gh and Kh of 0 straight off the tap!) and one piece of mineral rocks. Water change once every 3-4 weeks. I find that my water quality stays better if I have emergent aquatic plants sucking away the waste products. Maybe it is just an anedoctal evidence but it works for me. :)

It's NEEDS substrate! Just a fine spinkle of sand, it really looks unfinsined without or like a holding tank.

it makes it easier to clean without a substrate. I'll consider it for the future.

I had CRS in tank without substrate before but it was quite heavily planted. I think it can do without substrate but you can to fill it up with plants to make the shrimp feel secure.

You lose a lot of your filtration without substrate which isn't a great thing with fragile CRS in the long run. If you were over zealous with your filter cleaning this may crash spectacularly where theres no backup substrate filtration. I'm currently using a barebottom tank with the intention of making it easier to catch shrimp to ship them.

ill try a moss carpet for now, but if there are any casualty's i'll add a substrate. Thanks for the information.

Back