• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mioving a tank

I have to move a 165ltr tank about quarter mile, what is tge likelihood off me dropping the water level do to a couple of inch and transporting it there in back of van instead of a total strip down, anyone tried it?

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I have to move a 165ltr tank about quarter mile, what is tge likelihood off me dropping the water level do to a couple of inch and transporting it there in back of van instead of a total strip down, anyone tried it?
I've move plenty of tanks exactly like that. Never had any issues.

But don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong!

i moved my rio180 like this, as was heavily planted and full of shrimp so drained it down to inch of water, and all i had was the back seat of a peugeot 205 :crazy: , was a tight fit and a struggle to get it in, but drove slow for 5 miles and all is fine a year later.

I used this method to transport tanks to Uni and back home. No doubt I'll be doing it again at the end of September.

Thanks, I can't make my mind up whether to chance it. I was thinking of maybe using some ply cut slightly narrower than the tank like a stretcher so I can get my hands under tank to lift it back off. Worried about the gravel sloshing to one side during the journey.

I've been delaying setting up some tanks due to a move coming up. I only have 2x30l's and 1x60l to move. I'll be removing hardscape and draining to and inch or two of water.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Thanks, I can't make my mind up whether to chance it. I was thinking of maybe using some ply cut slightly narrower than the tank like a stretcher so I can get my hands under tank to lift it back off. Worried about the gravel sloshing to one side during the journey.

Best to make sure it's sitting on a smooth level surface as any slight bumps can cause a crack especially with the extra weight. Maybe you could use some form of cushioning for extra protection. The underlay for laminate floors would be ideal, I saved a roll of this from going down the tip. WIll come in handy for under tanks in my fish house too.

Good luck with the move, you don't have far to go. I'm just waiting for solicitors to sort their thing out. :(

I have just moved house and had to move a 1600 litre, 400 litre, 365 litre, 180 litre... and some more lol.

People have moved smaller tanks all in tact and just lowered the water, that is certainly possible, but if you want to have a higher margin of certainty that your tank will be ok, you will strip it down.

Yeah I'm tempted to err on the side of caution. The way I see it spending an extra 3/4 hours re-setting back up would be small change to avoid a disaster.
You never know I might even come up with something better.

Back