• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first DSLR Camera - Canon

greenjar

Hi everyone

I have been inspired by everyones great photography on the forum and now I want to focus on improving my photography, so obviously the first issue is that of equipment upgrade.

I have never owned a dslr camera, only ever point and shoot. I have decide I want Canon as I like the layout as well as the fact that all my friends and colleagues use them.

I have a budget of £600 max and I would need to purchase from a high street retailer (eg. Jessops) so that I could pay for this over 6 months interest free (I appreciate this might not get me the best deals but hey ho)

I am not really interested in second hand gear as I'm weary of second hand goods of this nature (may consider offers though from forum members - know I can trust you guys ;) )

I have looked at two available deals, basically they are the Canon 550d vs 500d with extra lens, both packages around £600

550d deal details
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77142/show.html

500d with extra lens deal
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80640/show.html

My thinking is that perhaps at this early stage of my interest in photography, the 500d with extra lens will offer me greater flexibility and scope for experimentingand learning?

I would appreciate if any experienced photographers could offer suggestions on pros and cons of the 2 above camera's / suggestions on which package would suit me best.

Thanks everyone

Both cameras are more than sufficient to take the kind of images your see on here.

The 500D is the same technology as my 50D, basically wrapped in a smaller plastic body but with video.

Having the benefit of hindsight I would personally go for the cheapest 500 or 550D body-only you can find, then invest in a decent lens. The lenses in your links are poor quality - both in build and results.

The type of lens you need depends on what you're going to be photographing.

I can recommend the 50mm f/1.8. It's cheap, but the results can be superb. It's a fixed focal length so doesn't offer the flexibility of a zoom lens, but it's a great lens to get you to learn the basics of photography.

George is right. Getting a best lens you can afford is always the way to go, and the 50mm 1.8 is great quality at a crazy price. Consider buying a camera body without a lens and getting the 50 1.8.

Make sure you have a look at camerapricebuster.com to find the best deal for the camera and lens. If you do go to Jessops, some of their stores pricematch Internet prices (at least, they used to).

Also lens-wise, you can get very good quality old lenses (from film cameras) on eBay, along with adapters to fit modern cameras. They will be manual focus only, and you'll have to set your own apertures, but it can teach you how these things work much quicker than an automatic system will.

I use a Super Takumar 55mm f2 and a Helios 44m on my Canon 5D regularly.

That's it.

Google it for loads of reviews, and best prices.

It's cheap built but the optics are wonderful for the price.

For a decent general purpose zoom I really rate the Sigma 17-70 OS.

It has a low minimum focusing distance so so makes it great for macro photography. Really sharp and versatile, and great value. I replaced mine with a Canon 24-105 and miss it to be honest!

George Farmer said:
That's it.

Google it for loads of reviews, and best prices.

Thanks George, I'll be sure to google for the best price. Looks like you can easily pick up this liitle baby for around £70. Thanks for the confirmation and suggestion.

George Farmer said:

It has a low minimum focusing distance so so makes it great for macro photography. Really sharp and versatile, and great value. I replaced mine with a Canon 24-105 and miss it to be honest!

I'll check this out, thanks - we know that if you recommended it, then its all good :D

tyrophagus said:
Buy the camera 2nd hand. There's some great cameras out there that people sell because they want the newest and latest tech.

I do hear what you saying, and agree completely, its easy to be drawn in by the cheap second hand prices. I'm just cautious of second hand electrical and technical goods, because I know there could be minor faults which effect their performance, but I would never really know for sure because I'm not an expert or dont know what to look for etc. I would though look into second hand stuff from friends, family and official refurbished gear etc direct from Canon - Just Ebay really thats a no go for me.

Tom said:
I bought my 5D on eBay - it had been a pro's backup camera and was in near mint condition. There are some great buys out there.

Hi Tom. I have'nt competely ruled out this option.

I will and do keep an eye out for gear on Ebay. If something suitable comes up near to where I live, I would be up for poping round to view before buying (and also to suss out the seller a bit :oops:)

Thanks for you comments :thumbup:

George Farmer said:

Hi George - can I confirm, is this the correct link to the Sigma lens you've mentioned?

http://www.sigmalensreview.com/sigma1770osreview

George Farmer said:
That's the one.

Most of these photos were taken it, although mine was non-OS - http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgefarm ... 770878506/

Awsome photos George, thanks for the link. I think I'm going to have to get me one of these :)

foxfish said:
I know you said you did not want second hand but how about a guaranteed ex display?

Thanks for your msg Fox. I've made up my mind though and settled on a new 550d body only, and lens as above.

The only difficult descision is when to order. I'm on holiday to France end of next week and would love to take the new gear with me, but it would kill me If it did'nt for some reason arrive in time and I know it's sat in a post office somewhere while I'm away. Should probably wait till I'm back and then purchase....aaah dilemma dilemma ;)

Worth noting the effect of the camera frame sensor. I believe on the 550d it is a crop of 1.6

Essentially the field of view is multiplied by the crop. A 17-70mm lens on the 550 will be equivalent to a 27-112mm.

In some instances the lens you have set your eyes on might be a little too long for a particular purpose.

Here is a video that makes sense of it

Oh and yeah the 50mm f/1.8 are really awesome, they can transform your photography and get you thinking about things in different ways. Bokeh rules!

Thanks for your post James.

This is not something I've thought about so I'm grateful to you for bringing this up, as its all a good part of the learning curve. Found this article (link below) which explains it all clearly, in sensible layman terms (I think o_O )

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/crop_sensor_cameras_and_lenses.html

The only questions I have are simple novice one's like; Is a full frame camera more desirable? or can you simply just bear in mind the relationship between the cropping factor and its impact on the lens's focal lengh & desired field of view? would changes in depth of field, positive or negative, be that noticeable to a beginner like myself?

Ps - the 50mm is on my to buy list :)

Thanks guys :)

I think you will be fine with a crop sensor. I do not think that it will limit you in creative use of shallow depth of field either, the 50mm 1.8 will allow shallow enough depth of field. It is not easy to master though, as 'shallow depth of field' can easily turn into 'nothing in focus at all'!

My advice would be to get the camera and one lens (the 50mm is great) and use it and practice. You will quickly see where the lens limits your photography and can then make the right decision over the next lens (I.e., wide-angle, macro, telephoto etc). It is important to note the different fields of view on different cameras, but you will soon get a feel for how each lens type behaves on your camera.

Enjoy, it is great fun.

greenjar said:
Thanks for your post James.

This is not something I've thought about so I'm grateful to you for bringing this up, as its all a good part of the learning curve. Found this article (link below) which explains it all clearly, in sensible layman terms (I think o_O )

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/crop_sensor_cameras_and_lenses.html

The only questions I have are simple novice one's like; Is a full frame camera more desirable? or can you simply just bear in mind the relationship between the cropping factor and its impact on the lens's focal lengh & desired field of view? would changes in depth of field, positive or negative, be that noticeable to a beginner like myself?

Ps - the 50mm is on my to buy list :)

Thanks guys :)

It is nothing to worry about really. It is just something to bare in mind while selecting camera lenses in the future. A lot of it can be cured by taking one step back! Some people however get it in their mind they need a certain lense for a certain situation go and buy it and then forget to take the crop into consideration rendering that lense unsuitable!

Say if you wanted a general point and shoot zoom lense, most would probably recommend or say buy a 28-80mm. With a crop of 1.6 this lens is maybe a little too 'long' and something like a 18-55mm would be far more suitable.

Also if you wanted a mega zoom lense then you can probably get away with using a 55-200 rather than a 55-300. The 55-200 is likely have a lower f-stop which is better for lower light and for taking action shots.

Full frame isnt really more desirable, they are usually huge and expensive. You just need to potentially be aware of what having a crop of 1.6 means when selecting lenses.

Good stuff, thanks for the clarification - Interesting stuff all this :D
Great to be getting involved in and learning a new hobby

Back