• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Struggling with HC

If that's the only way it worked then it must be the problem with a CO2 distribution. What is your flow pattern in your tank? do you have any other mean of increasing flow in the tank? I used to struggle with any carpet plants. I added filters after filter hoping to increase the flow of the tank and as a result I ended up with a little whirlpool in my tank with poor growth. I now have good growth with nearly all the plants even with the demanding plants by just changing the flow pattern.

Personally, I go with a filter that is recommended according to the manufacturer and then add something that increase the gentle flow in the tank like a Koralia. If you don't have as much CO2 distribution, then maybe you will need to cut down your light. It would be useful if you let us know if you have a 30cm, 45cm, or 60cm height tank as it would make quite a lot of difference.

Yeah, the flow in mine is good too, have a koralia pointed straight down from top of tank to the carpet. Pretty sure Daniel is right about co2 though. Have been using a (very cheap) inline diffuser the last couple of weeks and the HC has stepped up another gear.

I learnt it the hardway that it's not about how to turn your tank into a whirlpool but more of a simulating how it would be in the wild where the water gently carries the nutrient accross the leave. I had the same approached as you too (directing the outlet over the plants) and ended up sending the plants flying all over the tank and a deep hole in my substrate burying god knows how many cherries in the process (happened while I was away on holiday for 2 weeks!)

Obviously, the way one diffuse CO2 can be questionable as well. My Co2 ceramic disc diffuser used to be under my intake pipe and every now and again it will be churning out tons of gas before returning to normal function. It normally happens when I'm at work so I didn't realised about this problem till later on. My Co2 indicator was always green but plants failed to work. I've changed over to use an atomiser based diffuser now and I know for sure that my diffusion rate is close enough to 100% as it will ever be and it's solve my problem. :) Just my 2 cent

depending on the size of your tank, you could make an atomiser with a small water pump and air sponges. I did that before and it produce such fine bubbles compareable to those of an atomiser if not better. I had to stop using it as everything was covered in the CO2 bubbles that it becomes unsightly and unreal (and it was taking up space in a 2 foot tank).

Just plug the CO2 tube into the water intake of the pump and then put the sponge block at the water exit. The concept being the propeller churn the CO2 into tiny bubbles and when it comes out of the nozzle, it hit the sponge and gets broken into tinier bubble. Try placing that over your HC and I think your HC would be fine. :)

Should clarify, tried mentalist flow levels and my fish started dying so stopped that. Now have reasonable flow and the koralia is used primarily to ensure flow passes back along the tank.

Not using one of the UP atomiser inline numbers or anything like it. My reg is awful and if I tried to run it at those pressure levels would probably explode, sending bits of sakura shrimp flying across south london.

Nah, I'm using a waterlife reactor thing. Similar principle to what you're talking about Daniel. Goes on the outflow pipe of your external fitler and your co2 line goes into it too. Impellors chop up the co2. Gets sent through to your tank - tiny tiny bubbles. Cost £8. Only issue is the risk of leaks with it being external but you can you use internal if you want. I think TMC do a version too.

With this kind of diffusion you need to put more effort to hve enough CO2 on the bottom of the tank. Sometimes this isn't as easy as it sound.

Light and this CO2 issue will have effect on your HC for sure. Still it will grow in your tank, just the plant will not look in the best form.

I had to increase my bpm to get the CO2 drop checker to turn lime green when I was using this diffuser. However, when I change to atomiser, the same amount of bubbles count gas my fish out! So I will second what viktor just said, you probably need to increase your bubble count.

skeletonw00t said:
I put my koralia in - top left corner blowing towards the front glass. This is where i want it isnt it?

Yup whatever helps to drive more CO2 to the carpet is good.

Make sure you clean the diffuser frequently. As soon as the bubbles gets a little bigger the efficiency will be low even with the extra flow. Bi-weekly cleaning is recommended in this case. HC is a CO2 addict :D

I added 10 ml of excel daily to my tank and the shrimp was fine with it (my tank was only 90 litre). It also depends on the shrimp you've got. I've only got cherry and amano

skeletonw00t said:
You're gonna hate me lol but i removed the koralia :( it just looks too ugly. However... Last week my diffuser wasn't clean and the bubvles were quite big. So i've put a new diffuser in & upped the co2 a little. I reckon this week (also with 10ml of flourish excel) it should do better!

Is 10ml of flourish excel safe for shrimp btw?

Bad bad move. I'm sure it's the Koralia that's sorted my HC out.

It is funny my HC was growing even in no CO2 low light tank but ultra slow. Not sure what your issues are. It is also very easy plant to grow emersed. I can grow it just with a bit of water on plastic tray and time to time fert dozing. Also switching from Excel to pressurized Co2 will put HC on steroids, that's tested in my tank.

Back