• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing Cryptocoryne emersed?

A

Anonymous

Hi just wondering if it's possible to grow Cryptocoryne emersed?
Cheers

Indeed it is. Keep the humidity up high though.

I had some growing in my dart frog vivs and I'm just waiting on a delivery for an emersed crypt cube I'm working on.

Everything I've read says yes.
But I failed. In the short term at least.

I had 70% humidity and all my new crypts melted. Though from what I've read since this may be to do with whether the crypts that I put in were previously emersed or submersed.
(FWIW I may have an almost new hygrometer if you're interested. )

Late response to the question but yes certainly growing Crypts emersed is possible. Have a look at this thread of my setup. It is in not as good a shape as the video now due to other commitments that take up my time.
Video and several photos of setup and plants with flowers.

Enjoy

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... setup.html

I grow all my Crypts emersed and they are doing great, don't think that I have lost any of them yet. Good luck.

It's not that hard. It just need time to acclimatise. Once they are acclimatised, you can grow them at room air humidity but just need to make sure that the roots has access to plenty of water.

I just use a propagator to grow them to start off with and then leave a small slit in the propagator lid by displacing it sideways and then over the next 2 weeks moving it out. Otherwise, you can just snip off all the leave and plant the stump in a substrate fill with water. The new leaves that grow out of the stump will change to an emersed form in the next few days.

Yep, they do seem to appreciate high humidity for a time after planting, whether you get them in emersed form or not. Mine are now growing at fairly low humidity (slider on propagator is fully open). They tend to go crispy at first, as did my Anubias. I've never been brave enough to chop all the leaves off first though!

Back