• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi II

Thanks Keymaker, those are the ones, will be adding those to my 'to do/try' list...Its quite long hahaha
I have what one variety of pennywart but it grows straight for the surface and prefers to float, is that a lack of light or the variety??
Need to find a way to get paid doing this hobby full time!! ooh and the skills to justify the job if guess :(

Thanks again for this and the endless inspiration people like you provide to us mere mortals!!

Thanks Paulo, I finally got my letter too... :angelic:
Will post the images soon.

6049385338_f4f03b497e_z.jpg

IAPLC 64. here is the shot we sent to the contest back in may

6154414533_68fcd41d8b_b.jpg

A few thoughts here too:

The tank is the same as the HC so 3.5 month old approx on this shot.
The high res image is really good. We used a lot of lighting and a good camera to capture this moment. Actually an 5D Mark II with many light sources.

Did not thought we will have this tank completed for the contest as because fo the brasiliensis we had massive algae issues in the first few weeks. But since then this tank is just looks awesome. Still running and we trimmed the tank again at the summer. Crypts grown much bigger, crypto balansea is a dense courtain in the back.

Where is the crypt courtain on this shot? Actually we had that on the first few captures and also captured the tank without them. Then we voted internally which one is the best and this turned out to be a great decision. I do not think the tank would have earn the same ranking with the Crypto Balansea in the back.

This is a lovely piece of tank in our gallery and maybe strange to say but even with the 2x150 HQI with 7hrs a day this is a low maintenance tank. Trimming in every few months or more. We only do a weekly water change, daily fert dose and fish feeding.

Oh fishes. Popondetta Furcata was the best decision we made here. They are so nice in this tank. Swimming in team looks amazingly colorful. Super friendly and active fishes like no others. The fish become a popular fish in our country after people seen in this tank.

The photo capture is great, but would be better to have the fishes in one team. It's just so hard to do with this fish.

So just like HC in our other tank Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is also a completed task now. We're glad this turned out to be a great success for us.

These are my thought only of course my business partner Keymaker is the one to credit here for his vision. But i wanted to share it with you guys.

This is also a honour to us that Tropica selected these tanks to display their plants like Hemianthus and Lilaeopsis on their website. But we had to wait til the IAPLC party. :D :thumbup:

By the way, EI ferts, high light, powerful filtration (2x2080) Amazonia AS and Pressurized CO2 with external reactor.

in situ shots
the tank is still in perfect shape. by now this is 9 months old. brasiliensis is awesome. love that it's not needed any maintenance. just need to trim the cryptos in every 3 weeks or so. sorry for the reflection guys.

6285293929_2d9ed0b727_b.jpg
Green Aqua - Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

6285292425_af2d6a7131_b.jpg
Green Aqua - Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Great tank and results!

As always, very well done!!

Cheers Mate, thanks! :angelic:

I'm actually starting to get some ideas to totally rescape this for next year's "go go go" ;)
Problem is that it is in perfect shape and as Viktor said no maintenance is needed, so I'm a little sorry to rip down something that causes 0 trouble in the Gallery.

I can fully understand your hesitation to rip down such a great tank and would feel the same!

Looking really good :thumbup:
I like it even more in the current shape, imho its better than the one seen on the photo below the tank.

As I read you use EI in this tank, care to share the regime and type of powders you use? What about micro / EC / any ADA products?

Nice tank rock choice.

This plant is really easy after it fills in good.

While there's high light, the distance from the light is close to 90-100cm away from the front edge of the plants.
This is about where 40-50umol of light sits in other ADA tanks I've measured.

I got thinking about the HC in the other tank you did not long ago.
I decided to do a different scape in a 70 Gal tank 90cmx 60cm x 45cm H, using HC.
I chose wood instead of rock, but used the wood like rock.

I wanted to compare fill in rates/growth rates with HC using the submersed method vs the DSM, which I decided against having done it a few times. For a slower grower like this tank you have, the DSM might have done better? Hard to say unless you compare the methods.

I was looking at the growth rates and fill in rates of the HC you had and compared them to the DSM. I'd say they are faster based on what you stated. I agree that brasiliensis is a wonderful plant. I've seen some nice local examples here in the USA of this plant.

It also responds well to a mowing trim method.

plantbrain said:
Nice tank rock choice.
Thanks!

plantbrain said:
This plant is really easy after it fills in good.
Oh yes, it's such a thick carpet, it does not grow up, just gets more dense. In the 9-10 months we only had to trim once. No algae issues, no dying leaves, no maintenance needed. It is an absolute low-maintenance plant in the long run. Also very attractive.

plantbrain said:
While there's high light, the distance from the light is close to 90-100cm away from the front edge of the plants.
This is about where 40-50umol of light sits in other ADA tanks I've measured.
It definitely needs a relative high lighting, that would "go down" to the substrate level. I am sure that using HQI helped a lot in this depth.

plantbrain said:
I got thinking about the HC in the other tank you did not long ago.
I decided to do a different scape in a 70 Gal tank 90cmx 60cm x 45cm H, using HC.
I chose wood instead of rock, but used the wood like rock.
This is a great honor for us Tom, that you were inspired by one of our creations. Can not tell you how much. :oops:
The idea of using wood as rock is really original!

plantbrain said:
I wanted to compare fill in rates/growth rates with HC using the submersed method vs the DSM, which I decided against having done it a few times. For a slower grower like this tank you have, the DSM might have done better? Hard to say unless you compare the methods.
With all the great difficulties we had at the beginning I think I would not try this again "at home" :) Nex time I think I would try DSM instead. The great algae-disaster almost made us give up on this setup and this plant.

plantbrain said:
I was looking at the growth rates and fill in rates of the HC you had and compared them to the DSM. I'd say they are faster based on what you stated. I agree that brasiliensis is a wonderful plant. I've seen some nice local examples here in the USA of this plant.
I am nowhere nearly as much afraid of HC as of Brasiliensis. I would go for a submersed HC carpet any time against DSM. For Brasiliensis - thats a whole different game. :) But this is only based on one test in this tank - maybe the original difficulties with Brasiliensis were caused by other issues.

Well, it's just got me thinking again about a nice scape, but with a different twist. Most "New" ideas are just remixed versions of something we have already seen before, not True original creativity really..........I'm not sure we are able to truly do that.

The DSM vs the typical traditional method are good for this style of and layout.
I think the DSM is a wildly popular method.

However, I am not going to suggest it's that much better without doing several good comparisons with the traditional method. Algae disasters come and go. With this tank I have, it's a unique issue to keep the bio filtering, the driftwood waterlogged good, and I will be able to add amano shrimp is less than 2 week's time without NH4 issues.

So DSM is not applicable for this tank. New tank? Sure........

I was trimming all this Gloss recently, and I do not have a real mono culture iwagumi style in the home, so......HC is a little harder to trim and keep, but not that much different. Been here, done this before. Your journal got me thinking again.

So I planted it the HC last night finally.
I've seen some real nice Brasiliensis examples in recent times. I might have to try it.
I really have less experience with that plant.

This is awhile ago, but you can see how the Manzy burl fragments are very rock like,
I kept the larger piece and then removed the glass//white sand and cleaned up some of the equipment inside the tanks, I also had not been sealing the wet/dry chamber either..........that was fixed.

Manzy has such a varied growth form where I collect it, these large thick burl bases that protect against natural low intensity fire and then the gnarled branches. Roots are lousy, but the rest of the tree is great. This is some of the most rock like wood I've ever seen.

woodagumi1stday.jpg

m_attt said:
such a lovely tank, where did you get the rocks from?

Thanks

Cheers Matt,

These are kind of fossilized/petrified wood / stones. Similar or same like the ones Oliver Knott used in TGM event in the past. Probably TGM could help you with it.

Back