• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY CO2 - Nearly Gassed Fish

John S

I had a lucky escape yesterday. I’ve used a DIY CO2 set up on a 60 l tank for months, with a mixture of 2 cups of sugar, ¾ teaspoon of yeast in a 2L bottle, without any issues. I changed my mixture on Saturday night and by Sunday morning it was fizzing away as usual. About half an hour before lights up I noticed some neons gasping at the top and some just being pushed around by the flow. I put the lights on and threw in an air stone and after 15 minutes all was good.

There are two things that have changed since my last mixture:

1. An Eheim filter with spraybar has replaced a fluval filter with single point outlet.
2. Saturday was a new tin of yeast (same make as the previous one)

What would have caused the problem? The fluval probably gave more surface agitation so maybe the C02 was lost or is new yeast more potent than one that’s been opened for a few months? :?

just checking - Both before and after the incident did you run the air stone at night or disconnect the co2?

Thanks for the responses. I never used an air stone at night before. I've gone pressurised with solenoid now. I think I agree that it's less surface agitation that caused it.

Back